Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
Language Documentation for developers

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 August 2009, 12:15

Hello,

I was going to update the "Language Structure" documentation which is getting obsolete. However, before I change anything:

is there any language package which has been still defined as a pluggin level, instead of uploading the language files in the langpack directory?

I wonder how you are going to customize the language strings using the /local language directory that Richard is implementing.

Regards

Account deleted

13 August 2009, 20:05

Hi,

Language packs can still be interleaved, but we're not actually advertising that Wink. So it probably wouldn't matter if an updates to the documentation forgot to state that fact.

The local langauge string feature has documentation at http://wiki.mahara.org/Customising/Language_Strings

Account deleted

16 August 2009, 12:11

Hello Nigel,

I have also noticed that, the previous installations always created a folder called "langpacks", where we dowload the language packages. However, when you install Mahara 1,2, this folder is not created. Did I do something wrong when installing Mahara in Ubuntu (I enabled most of the permissions for the folders) or the folder langack is not create as a part of the core installation now, and all the language packages should be installed in that "local" directory?

Thank you very much for your help.

Account deleted

16 August 2009, 19:20

Hi - it's created in dataroot, and check for on every request, so I would expect you to find it in there. I just had a look, and the code to do that is still on the master branch. It's in lib/mahara.php, around line 151.

You're sure it's not there? If it's not when we do the next alpha or first beta, we'll have a look closer. 

Account deleted

18 August 2009, 6:21

Hello Nigel,

It was created, sorry, When you said "Dataroot", I was looking into the code folder, instead of the "Maharadata" folder (that is how I call the dataroot folder, with Artefacts, sessions, etc).

Account deleted

18 August 2009, 19:00

Ah Smile

Yeah, we create it in there, because that's an area of the filesystem that we know is writable. This gives us potential options in future around providing a GUI in the admin section for installing languages etc. Also it allows David Mudrak's translation tool to write out new language packs.

6 results