Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Monitoring wall posts and file uploads

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 August 2009, 19:15

Hi. I don't believe there are any specific laws or regulations in NZ that enforce monitoring of websites, even when children are involved - I could definitely be wrong on this though.

What I do know, is that the MyPortfolio systems, which are on a national level in NZ, are running basically pristine Maharas, and so far I'm unaware of any complaints. I'm certain students are likely to be abusing one another, as students everywhere do, but the schools are probably dealing with this internally.

Another Mahara we run for a school have their own policies about reporting bullying/abuse etc, and deal with it that way. Sometimes, a technical solution is involved. For example, we found that some students were posting large amounts of text on one another's walls in order to crash their user view pages, so we added a maximum limit on the size of wall posts from Mahara 1.1.6 onwards. 

Account deleted

19 August 2009, 5:43

Thanks for all the responses- very helpfulWink
Account deleted

04 March 2010, 2:50

Hi Caitlin,

I work in TAFE NSW & we have been trialling Mahara for use with students in a purpose built sandpit environment. We obviously have had to consider issues surrounding copyright, privacy etc to. We have created an introduction to Mahara view within each class group for our students that includes disclaimers regarding student code of conduct, privacy & copyright with links to the various organisational policies for each. We discuss these  issues with students on their first lesson using Mahara & reminders regarding appropriate content on walls, views & forums & copyright are given periodically during classes & mentioned in discussion forums, wall posts & direct messages.

Allison Miller's profile picture

08 March 2010, 18:05

Hello Nayomie

The Australian Flexible Learning Framework has been conducting research in the area of learner privacy in the use of e-portfolios.  This work will be released next week, and will include Guidelines for Privacy. 

We would be very interested in talking to you about the work you are doing in this area, and would appreciate it if you could contact me at:  [email protected].

Kind regards,

Allison Miller

E-portfolios Business Manager

Australian Flexible Learning Framework

Blog: www.flexiblelearning.net.au/e-portfoliosblog

T: 08 8348 4075

F: 08 8348 2439

M: 0400 732 270

SA Framework Unit, 137 Days Road, Regency Park SA 5010

14 results