Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Basic Questions

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

07 August 2009, 7:15

Dear Nigel,

I work at UNITAR (United Nations Institute for Training and Research) and we are thinking about using Mahara in co-relation with Moodle. I could not download the Mahara software because we generally use Microsoft Windows as the main OS, so I registered online. Would you kindly answer the following questions:

- Does Mahara have a FAQ section? If yes, where can I find it?

- Can a student be part of various institutions or only of the ones he/she is registered? How can someone be invited to join - through Mahara, email, etc...?

- What are the steps for an institution to be part of Mahara?

- Is it necessary for an institution/user to download the Mahara software?

- What is the difference between the Mahara software and the Mahara browser-based site?

- If a user wants to join an Institution , does he/she need to be registered or having taken a course there?

- Can an institution post open vacancies on Mahara and can users search for jobs on Mahara ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Brgds,

Julia Kirchner

Account deleted

07 August 2009, 10:41

Hi Julia,

I work at Liip, we've been looking after your Moodle installation for awhile :)

A couple of answers:

1. Do you mean, is there a FAQ about the Mahara software? Or that you want to be able to add an FAQ to your own Mahara site?

2. A student can be part of multiple institutions, but there's a process where they say, "I'm a member of xyz institution", and someone confirms it. Users can self register, or administrators can upload a CSV file containing the information for multiple users, and Mahara will create accounts.

3. That's really defined by the policy in your own institution.  Institutions are created in Mahara by the adminitrator.

4. Nope, it's a web application.  UNITAR would have their own installation of Mahara, and users would connect to it, just like you connect to mahara.org :)

5. I think I just answered that one too

6.  That depends on the policy of the institution administrator who confirms their membership.

7.  Not yet, or in any formal way, but you could use groups and forums to advertise jobs, and users could share Views with people offering jobs that they were interested in.

I hope that helps! :) 

Penny

Account deleted

09 August 2009, 19:29

Hi - looks like Penny covered your questions off nicely, I have nothing to add to her answers Smile
Account deleted

10 August 2009, 9:11

Dear Penny and Nigel,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Our organization will keep in touch.

Best regards,

Julia Kirchner

4 results