Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
email dups

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 August 2009, 14:52

I searched thef orums, but wasn't able to find anything on this.

We're receiving email notifications in triplicate for new view notifications.  The activity log shows the same.  They're usual sent one after another, each 1 minute apart.   Is this a configuration issue (users are created using moodle networking) or a bug issue?

thanks so much!

- Jesse Friedman

UCSF Dept. of Edu Technology  

Account deleted

05 August 2009, 17:47

Hi - sounds like a bug, though not one that's been seen before. Some questions:

• What version of Mahara?
  • Have you made any customisations to it?
  • Are the notifications identical, or slightly different?
  • Which notification type are they? New View Access? If that's the case, can you please describe the view access rules for a view that triggered these duplicate notifications? E.g. these users, these groups etc. Would be interested to know if the users receiving triple notifications are somehow in the view access list multiple times, whether by being directly specified or by being in a group/part of the friends list.

Account deleted

05 August 2009, 18:35

Hi Nigel - 

Thanks for the (as usual) quick reply

>  * What version of Mahara?

1.1.5 as of this week, but we've been experiencing it since we deployed a few months ago. 

>  * Have you made any customisations to it?

None. 

>  * Are the notifications identical, or slightly different?

Identical, other than being sent 1 minute apart. 

>  * Which notification type are they? New View Access? If that's the

> case, can you please describe the view access rules for a view that

> triggered these duplicate notifications? E.g. these users, these

> groups etc. Would be interested to know if the users receiving triple

> notifications are somehow in the view access list multiple times,

> whether by being directly specified or by being in a group/part of the

> friends list.

So far we've only experienced it with new view access.  Most (if not all) have been from views made available by group membership. 

Account deleted

05 August 2009, 19:33

Hm. Is your site available publicly? I'm afraid there's not enough information there to point out the real issue, so it would help if I could have a poke around Smile
Account deleted

06 August 2009, 11:26

unfortunately, there will be a LOT of hoops to jump through in order to give you access. So let's keep that one in our back pocket for now, until we really need it.

Here's what we know: 

- Only sending dups for group notifications

- Not sending them for all groups, but for groups where it does, I'm receiving them in triplicate.  Others are getting duplicate.  One poor faculty member has reported getting them 6x.

I've posted a screen shot of an example - only blurring the username.  Posted via a secret URL view:  https://portfolio.ucsf.edu/view/view.php?t=heY39L8rzCb0wZDjKM3V

- Jesse 

Account deleted

06 August 2009, 18:49

So just to confirm:

If a group creates a new view, then users on the view access list are getting dupes.

What I would like to know is, for these views, what exactly is on the access list? Is there more than just the group?

I think we have enough to go bug hunting now, but the extra information will help Smile 

Account deleted

06 August 2009, 20:12

Actually - Richard just pointed out to me that we fixed a nasty bug in 1.1.6 that was causing duplicate notifications for some people. They weren't so much duplicates, as people getting notifications that were intended for other people.

You might want to try upgrading to Mahara 1.1.6, and see if your problem is solved. If not, then it'll be worth investigating further. 

Account deleted

07 August 2009, 11:46

I've pinged my server admin to get this upgrade on the schedule.  It sounds like a stretch, but worth trying. 

Also, we're seeing a bug where using the top level user search from some views results in all users, regardless of the search term. I found some old, closed bugs for this, but nothing new.

Time for me to spin up an edufordge account? 

Thanks again for your help on this!

- Jesse 

Account deleted

09 August 2009, 19:26

Yes indeed - reporting the bugs means we won't forget about them Smile

All information you can provide about them will be most helpful, and we'll ask for other information we need to duplicate the problem.

Let us know how you get on with 1.1.6 Cool 

Account deleted

20 August 2009, 17:41

Hey Nigel - 

So we're now at 1.1.6, and continuing to get duplicate (and sometimes triplicate) emails, each spaced one minute apart.   At this point, I think we're ready to look at giving you access to verify the issue and help troubleshoot if you're willing.

go ahead and send me an email at jesse.friedman at ucsf dot edu and we'll get you setup.

- Jesse 

11 results