Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Installation failing with PHP Fatal error

21 March 2022, 21:52

Hi everyone,

I want to host Mahara on my local computer to test some stuff. I did set up an Apache Server with php and a SQL Database and followed the instructions in the installation guide. However, the installation fails with the following fatal error:

‘Call to undefined function get_string() in (…) errors.php:530’

My Versions:

Database: MySQL 8.0.

Web server: Apache 2.4.52

PHP: 7.4.28

Mahara: 21.10.0 (downloaded as .zip from the Launchpad.)

My Webserver is working well with php test-sites such as “<?phpp phpinfo();”-file.

I also tried using PHP 8.1.3, but there occurred a different Fatal error in the same file ‘(…)errors.php’ (function error(): only 4 arguments given. 5 required). Since I have read in your forums, that Mahara is tested with PHP 7.2-7.4 only, I tried 7.4.28. I also tried another Version of Mahara but had no success.

Since I cannot believe, that such an error would be overseen, I am sure I must have made something wrong. Is this Problem in some ways Windows-specific? Could you help me understanding the problem? Just tell me, what other information you need.

Here is a screenshot with the error Message. In the appendix you find the file error.php from my mahara htdocs Folder. You also find my version of php.ini file (php), httpd.conf file (Apache) and config.php (Mahara) file.

Thank you very much!

• errors.php
  • config.php
  • httpd.conf
  • php.ini
  • versions_traceback.png.1
Robert Lyon's profile picture

22 March 2022, 13:42

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your report.

The error you are getting when using PHP 7.4 is an error one gets if their config.php file has a mistake in it.

Looking at your file, the line:

$cfg->dbtype   = mysql

Should be:

$cfg->dbtype   = mysql;

Cheers

Robert

22 March 2022, 20:42

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much! I knew, it would have to be something stupid. Your suggestion solved the problem :)

Cheers

Walther

Doris ⚡'s profile picture

22 March 2022, 15:01

Hi Walther,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with installing Mahara on Windows.

Mahara is not supported on Windows servers so we are unable to provide support for your PHP errors. 

You can review the info on installing Mahara on Windows locally from a few years ago. There is also 'Installing Mahara in Wampserver' or try searching through the forums for past conversations about installing Mahara on Windows.

All the best,
Doris

4 results