Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Trying to link to a view for public viewing

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

01 August 2009, 22:50

How would someone who is not registered see a view?  I copied the link, but when I put it into a browser it asks me to login rather than just display the view.

I was thinking if a student created a page, parents may want to see it, but i don't want them to need to register to see it.

In the admin, public viewing is set to yes, the view has given access to public viewing.

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

02 August 2009, 4:05

Hello David,

there are 2 ways to give persons outside of mahara permisison to se a view:

• public access -> everybody in WWW is allowed to see the view
  • secret URL -> you post the link in a mail and only these persons are allowed to see the view 

HTH Heinz
Account deleted

02 August 2009, 9:09

Thank you very much for the reply.  I have assigned public access to my "test" view.  Now if I went to that view and copied the URL and pasted it into this post, when you clicked on it you would be taken to my main page and it asks you to login.

http://www.mrgabor.com/mahara/view/view.php?id=7

I would like to know how to make it so a parent clicking on a link could be taken directly to the view without needing to register/login, they would just view the site.  I'm guessing the secret link is the way to go.

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

02 August 2009, 11:20

Hi,

sorry I forget to mention that you have to 

Allow public views Yes No ?

If set to yes, users will be able to create portfolio Views that are accessable to the public rather than only to logged in users

in the admin area Site options

HTH Heinz

Account deleted

02 August 2009, 12:20

It is set to yes, but it still asks you to login.  That iswhy I'm confused.

This is a screeshot from my admin.  It has been set at "yes" the entire time.  I have also allowed for public viewing in my "view" access settings

Account deleted

02 August 2009, 12:27

Here is a snapshot of my view access.

Account deleted

02 August 2009, 12:29

Spoke too soon, still a problem, if I click on the link above, it still asks me to login.
Account deleted

02 August 2009, 18:56

Hi - that's strange, what version of Mahara are you running?

Are there any messages in the apache error log for your Mahara? 

Account deleted

02 August 2009, 19:51

No errors appear in the log.

Account deleted

02 August 2009, 20:16

I figured it out.  It was a Mahoodle problem.  I had a moodle installation running for quite some time and only recently integrated Mahara.  Old accounts will not show up in the "public" view.  Newly created accounts work just fine.  Thank you for your time.
11 results