Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Another problem SSOing moodle to mahara

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

31 July 2009, 10:37

Hi,

i'm trying to connect my moodle test system together with a mahara test system to build a mahoodle.
Main goal is that moodle users which are authenticated through our institutional RADIUS can sso into mahara.
Configuring moodle for networking and sso with mahara works like a charm, requesting the public key is succesful.
The bad part is mahara requesting the moodle pub key, everytime i try to request it, it fails (yes, i checked all values i entered a multiple times).
Since we're using ssl for our whole production site (with official valid certificates) i'm using ssl for the test system too. But here i'm having self signed certificates only.
A hint, which i found in the moodle.org forum (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=115779) to turn off ssl certificate verification for curl which i put into client.php, didn't solve my problem. Mahara still does not read the pub key from moodle.
By the way, i'm using both on the same server with the same address and server name and it isn't a shared host, the server is under my control. It's a CentOS 5.3 linux with moodle 1.9.5+ and mahara 1.1.5
After taking a look into the database i tried to manually add the moodle server to the host table of mahara and this worked. Surprised Now the web config works too, it's requesting the certificate successfully. But this seems to me not to be the right way configuring networking.

Now the sso works almost. If i try to login from moodle to mahara the same happens as described in the first posting of this thread http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=868 - i get a message that the credentials are wrong. If i look into mahara as an admin i can see that the account has been created. So i think the sso works partly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have a nice weekend
Sven

Account deleted

02 August 2009, 18:31

Hi,

Note that the SSL certs used for your sites aren't the ones used for MNET. Moodle and Mahara generate their own keys internally, and use those instead.

Of course, if your wwwroots are SSL, then they'll already be talking over an encrypted channel, but MNET doesn't know anything about that. That doesn't help you much I suppose, but it does offer an explanation as to why the ssl cert verification fix didn't help you.

Does turning off 'update user info on login' help you with your login issue?

Do you have access to the apache error logs for  your Moodle and Mahara? Are there any messages in there that give you a hint as to what might be wrong? You could tail them both and then try a login, to see what new messages appear.

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 10:48

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Today i removed SSL from the whole moodle and made everything new. And voila, moodle and mahara communicated with each other, they exchanged their keys. So it seems to me, the SSL wwwroot is the problem, which is a problem to me. The production system will use ssl for the whole site anymore, so i can't change this.

The login problem still occurs and disabling 'update user info on login' seems not to solve the problem.

I looked at the error log and there are lots of messages when trying to log in. Unfortunately i can't attach i file with the log. But i put it in my portfolio here... ;-) (error_mahoodle.txt)

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 17:56

Strange! I know there was a problem with HTTPS previously, because neither Moodle nor Mahara had a field big enough to store the right port number (443). But you were, I think, running corrected versions - you can tell by looking at the configuration for the remote side in both Moodle and Mahara - you should be able to input 443 to the port field without struggle.

Your error log didn't contain anything related to the problem in it, sadly Frown 

4 results