Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
Is anyone experiencing any audio recording issues with Android 11?

Doris ⚡'s profile picture

15 October 2021, 10:33

Hi John,

Thank you for having done some more testing with your Pixel.

There has been discussion in the React Native community around this issue about getting errors on certain Android distributions. I have confirmed that this is an existing problem on Pixel devices on Android 10 and 11. This solution to a Google Pixel 2 running Android 9 also confirms this existing problem. They mention that disabling and enabling the camera solved their issue. Having already disabled the ‘Google Camera’, did re-enabling fix camera functionality for you in the Mahara Mobile app? 

It seems to have to do with the change in Android data storage over the last few versions and some distributions have not caught up and are still running with the Android 9 approach. I’ll add another check into the next beta release to account for that use case. 

You can read the long explanation to this issue.

If neither the solution above or the next beta release work for you, I can create an issue in our tracker so that we can review it at a later stage again when there might be a more stable solution available.

Thank you,
Doris

19 October 2021, 16:30

Hi John,

There is a new beta version available on the Android Play Store. It includes a fix for the issue with cameras on certain Android distributions that run Android 9 and lower, including Pixels.

If you have time to give it a go, please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Doris

John Lenehan's profile picture

21 October 2021, 2:11

Hi Doris

I installed and tested the latest beta version of the app on my phone.

The camera does not load as before.

You refer quite often to the updates improving an error for Android version 9.

My phone has Android 11.

Thanks

John

22 October 2021, 14:26

Hi John,

I am aware that your Pixel device runs Android 11. There are many Android distributions for the same Android version where the underlying code differs slightly. You've seen this with Mahara Mobile functioning differently on your Samsung compared to your Pixel.

At the moment, we are unable to pinpoint and solve the issue. I have created an issue in the Mahara Mobile repository to keep watch of your problem. If any of the upcoming releases resolves the problem, please let us know.

Thank you for your patience,
Doris

14 results