Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Japanese use of group name

AB-Net's profile picture

17 May 2021, 14:37

Hi,

The short name of the group name seems to be automatically generated from the group name, but it seems that only lowercase letters, numbers,'-','_', and'.' Can be used.
If you make the group name with only the characters that can be used in the short name, the short name seems to be the same as the group name.
When the group name is created in Japanese, the short name seems to be created by extracting only the characters that can be used for the short name in the group name.
The group name is set in Japanese, and the short name is changed later according to the naming rules.
Is it okay to use Japanese for the group name?

Robert Lyon's profile picture

24 May 2021, 14:04

Hi AB-Net

The group shortname is meant to just be a unique internal name that external webservices can use to identify a group.

It wasn't designed to be for human reading but I can't see why we shouldn't allow other languages in the shortname, especially as it is generated from the group's display name.

Though I don't expect it to be changed at any point in the near future

Cheers

Robert

AB-Net's profile picture

24 May 2021, 15:29

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the quick response.

I think it will be easier for students to understand by using Japanese for the group name.

Currently, I don't use Japanese for group names.

I hope that you will be able to use the group name, institution, etc. in Japanese without any problems.

Thank you.

AB-Net.

3 results