Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Can't Change Institutional Theme in Mahara

Jon Ernstberger's profile picture

20 August 2020, 6:37

In the past, as site or institutional administrators, we've been able to apply an institutional theme to a portfolio page that was instantly copied to all new users. 

The institutional theme clearly functions for previously-built pages/collections. (See screenshot of configuration below.)

Recently, with those same privileges, we've found that we cannot apply an institutional theme to a new page or collection.  Even when we select the configured theme, the default color scheme appears.  Should we reconfigure something?

Thanks,

Jon

• Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 14.33.43.png
Cecilia Vela's profile picture

20 August 2020, 10:26

Hi Jon,

For us to try to replicate the problem, could you let us know what was the version of Mahara that used to work and the actual version you're using that is not working as expected?

It would also help us if you could give us the steps you followed to set a portfolio theme.

Thanks,

Cecilia

21 August 2020, 0:35

Thanks, Cecilia, for your fast response!

What we are hoping to do is to set a theme for an institutional collection that is to be distributed to all first-year students and that will follow them through their four-year career at our institution.

Version:  19.10.3.  We operate with a 3rd party vendor for our LMS (we're a US college) that pairs with Mahara.  We run OpenLMS (a Moodle fork).

To set the Portfolio Theme at the institutional level we follow this process:

1. Login as site or institution administrator (we've tried it both ways).
  2. Navigate through the following menu structure:  'wrench'->Institutions->Settings.
  3. Choose the gear icon (to the right) that corresponds to our institution.
  4. Configure the theme (under the 'Configurable Theme' menu) using our colors in hexadecimal.
  5. Submit is chosen to confirm the configuration.

It is my understanding that this is now the default theme for the site.  (Note: in the menu for themes, the Site Default is different than the institutional theme.)

To set the theme on the collection, I adhere to the following steps:

1. I access the collection through the 'wrench'->'Institutions'->'Pages and Collections' menu structures, the recently created collection lives there. 
  2. I choose/select that collection that I want to change the theme.
  3. From that theme, I click the 'Edit' icon (a pencil) and am presented with the text boxes to be revised on the first page of the collection.
  4. I select the 'Settings' icon and navigate to the 'Advanced' sub-section of the Settings page.  There is no option for choosing the theme there (as it is in other pages).

So, to troubleshoot, I created a fresh page on the Pages and Collections page.  When I choose 'Edit'->'Settings' and navigate to the 'Advanced' sub-section, I can select a theme.  However, that page does not present itself with the theme that we have configured.  It will, however, work with one of the built-in themes.

As always, any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Jon

25 August 2020, 12:18

Hi Jon,

As I see in the code for Mahara version 19.10.3, in order to display the theme dropdown on the view advanced settings these two conditions have to be true:

1. On Admin menu -> Configure site -> Site options -> Expand 'User settings'
the field 'Users can choose page themes' should be set to 'Yes'

2. The page should not be a Dashboard or Profile page, and it should not be a site template page (located site pages and collection)

If after checking this two conditions, you still can't see the dropdown, then we would need to know if you have any customisations on your site.

Hope this information helps!

Cecilia

26 August 2020, 3:37

Cecilia,

Thanks for your wonderfully helpful response!

1.  'Users can choose page themes' is set to "yes."

2.  We had hoped for this to be an institution collection that would be copied to new users.

What customizations are your interested in?  We have done little other than color-coordinate the site to the style of our primary website.

Thanks!

27 August 2020, 15:15

Hi Jon,

The configurable theme on an institution is not like a normal theme in Mahara (Modern, Ocean, etc.) that anyone can choose for their views.

The configurable theme is actually only a display theme. This means that if an institution has it set up, then the members of that institution will see it on the site for every page and collection. The members of a different institution will see another theme, even for the same pages.

I hope this makes sense, you can find a bit more information here Mahara manual: Configurable theme

In case you want the theme to be able to be applied to any page, you can set up your own. Here is more information about it.

Cecilia

01 September 2020, 12:16

Thanks, again!

I would be happy for the configurable theme to be applied to all pages and pages in collections.  A previous page that was created (close to two years ago) used the theme and even still utilizes the theme when auto-copied onto students portfolios.

We recently revised the what should be auto-copied into a collection.  Whenever a user logs in for the first time, this specific collection is copied into their portfolios.  However, it only adopts the generic Mahara theme.

Jon

7 results