Forums | Mahara Community
External Feeds Not Updating via Cron
20 July 2009, 15:37
When a user adds an external feed to a view, everything seems to work fine. If the feed isn't already in the database, it is fetched. But, after that the feeds don't update again. The blocktype_cron table does show that the nextrun field is being updated, so cron is running at regular intervals. However, the feeds themselves in blocktype_externalfeed_data are not being updated at all.
As a test, I made the refresh_feeds() run when the block was rendered to make sure it worked and the feeds did update that way. They just don't update via the cron script like they should.
Any suggestions on how to get my feeds to update? I'm running 1.1.5.
20 July 2009, 16:40
Log the output of your cron job and see if something is wrong there - it might be crashing before updating the feeds.
You can change the crontab for refresh_feeds in the table without harm, though it won't take effect until the next time it's run. You can pass a timestamp to cron.php to simulate running it at a different time (read cron.php for more info on that).
20 July 2009, 20:20Thanks Nigel. I found the issue by viewing the Apache error log (thankfully I found a great log viewer so it made it much easier). The artefact_installed table still had an old artefact type in it from some modifications I did that I had since removed. Removing its record from the database fixed the problem.