Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Mahoodle with LDAP Authentication

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

08 July 2009, 12:45

I have my Mahoodle set up, but SSO using LDAP authentication is not working.  I have triple checked the LDAP settings and everything is in the fields correctly.  However, I get the following error:

Mahara: Invalid Parameter

A required parameter is missing or malformed.

We don't seem to have any authentication instances configured for the host at http://moodle.lycoming.edu/moodle.

I am using Moodle 1.9.5 with Mahara 1.1 and both are on Linux servers.  We use LDAP for everything else to authenticate.  In fact we have LDAP set up to authenticate to Moodle.  We just can't get it set up to SSO into Mahara.

If I add the XMLRPC authentication method I can SSO into Mahara just fine.  However, we want to authenticate using LDAP.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Diane

Account deleted

12 July 2009, 15:41

Hi - I think there might be some confusion here, there's not really such a thing as 'SSO using LDAP'. You can SSO from a remote application like Moodle, the 'parent authority' field gives users a way to also log in using ldap if necessary, but it doesn't provide 'SSO using ldap'.

My suggestion for you is to read the Mahoodle documentation PDF, which should explain everything Smile

Account deleted

13 July 2009, 8:09

What I want to be able to do is click on the link to my Mahoodle in Moodle and directly be signed in.  On the Administer Authorities window for my institution there is a "We auto-create users" link.  When enabled the "help" button says "Users that successfully authenticate but are not currently Mahara users will have an account created automatically."  My understanding is that this is the same sort of thing that happens when you authenticate using XMLRPC.  In addition, I thought that this would allow you to log into Moodle and then get directly into Mahara once an account is set up.  Please let me know what I am not understanding.

Thanks, Diane

A post by Account deleted was deleted

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 8:45

I just thought I would send a second reply, since I have not heard anything from anyone.  Can someone please let me know if there is a way to use LDAP authentication and have the user automatically signed into Mahara once they click on the link to Mahara from within Moodle.  Please see my past posts for additional information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 10:17

Hi Diane

This is confusing when you first get to it, but you do not need LDAP when using SSO. You can use LDAP to authenticate log in to Moodle, but SSO then creates users in Mahara based on the information in Moodle - no LDAP is needed, as effectively Mahara takes the information in Moodle and creates / authenticates an account based on it. Users will never need to sign in to Mahara as all that is taken care of in with SSO.

Read the Mahoodle PDF that Nigel spoke about earlier and take it step by step - it does make sense.

Thanks

Ian

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 12:20

Ok, thank you.  I guess I did not understand what Nigel was saying exactly.  I already know that I can use LDAP to get into Moodle and then set my Mahara up for XMLRPC authentication.  I can use that, however, the network people here wanted to set it to LDAP.

Thanks, Diane

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 13:12

OK - you need to give them a choice - LDAP, or SSO. I presume that Mahara can be set to LDAP instead of XMLRPC - not sure what the advantage is though.

Cheers

Ian

Account deleted

03 August 2009, 14:15

I guess my Monday is not going well!  I tried to add XMLRPC back in and it will not let me.  I know the settings are correct, including the root.  I am using the same ones I used before when it worked.  In addition, now I cannot delete LDAP.   Mahara indicates that a user is using that method and to change it.  I don't have any users using that method.  I was never able to get it to work in the first place.  I only have one user (admin) right now and it is set up as internal authentication.  Any thoughts, please.....
Account deleted

03 August 2009, 17:46

Hi - is it possible to get access to your site? Problems with authentication can be hard to debug.
14 results