Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Page of a Single View / Right Content Frame / Showing a List of Other Visible Views

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 July 2009, 4:44

Hi all,

I would like to suggest to show something like a table of contents within the the right (unused!) content frame. There might be shown ...

-- additional visible views / artefacts of the owner of the current view
-- additional similar(!)  visible  views / artefacts of other users within(!) the own network
-- additional similar(!) visible  views / artefacts of other users outside(!) the own network

The "template" could be the same, which is used for "My Views" at one's profile page.

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

02 July 2009, 16:51

That would take away a bunch of space from the View itself, which probably wouldn't be desirable. But it would be a good idea to somehow expose this or similar information when looking at a View!

What do you mean by "within/outside their network"?

Account deleted

03 July 2009, 1:34

Hi Nigel,

"views/artefacts withing the own network" is content that is shared to me by contacts  which are connected with me (i.e. friends).

"view/artefacts outside my own network" is content that is public so that there is no need to be connected  to them in order to see their content.

The table of contents might be a loosely coupled list ordered by the above mentioned types, like...

Other Content of this user:
View11
View12
View1X

Similar Content of your friends:
View21
View22
View2X 

Similar Content of other Users:
View31
View32

View3X  

I think such a kind of listing wouldn't take so much space Smile
And one will get a simple and fast way to browse through similar content of same and/or other users.

(By the way, there are no navigation buttons at the view pages, so that the user has to push the "back" button of the browser in order to move back to the previous page)

BR, B. 

Account deleted

03 July 2009, 2:26

Hi Nigel,

just visited a view here and checked whether there would be enough space for this table of contents.

So, there is still unused space. I would put it right under the Navigation links block at a view page cause it is a kind of context sensitive(!) navigation.

What do you think?

PR, B. 

Account deleted

09 July 2009, 19:55

I'm interested to know how you plan on establishing whether one view is "similar" to another. I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas for this Wink. Maybe you could just show random views that you could see within those constraints.

Account deleted

10 July 2009, 2:03

Sure, you are right.

Random or chosen by similar types of artefact(!) elements (i.e. .doc, .pdf, resume ...) would be valide alternatives. 

Account deleted

11 July 2009, 1:41

Indeed, they would be good ideas. You could take that further and compare on number of view columns, number and position of blocks etc...
7 results