Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Embed calendar other than Google

Paul Raper's profile picture

17 October 2021, 23:28

I can give you access to my test/development site if you would like.

I'll give you some background though: I am a lecturer and also first level support for the FHNW, a Swiss university near Basel.

We use Mahara through a service provider called Switch. https://switch.ch Catalyst, the Mahara developers are also contracted to look after the Mahara instance for Switch.

SO, I have some courses that I am running, but, Mahara has no calendar, and the Google one firstly doesn't work properly, secondly is terrible to set up, thirdly can't be supported by the team, and finally has security issues in that (a) events have to be public and (b) it's Google.

I have myself been using Moodle and Mahara for longer than I can remember, and so have my own instances on a private server. From here I can create environments with the current and future versions of applications, thus I have a complete e-learning environment that links up Moodle, Mahara, Nextcloud and Owncloud, Limesurvey and a few other bits and bobs.

When I read about your plugin, I was over the Moon, but a little frustrated when I could get it to work with neither Ownclound nor Nextcloud.

You are welcome to try out the settings etc. on my server and or instance. There is no confidential data there, so you can play away, but it would be great if this were to work, and even, dare I say it become a core part of the Mahara code.

Tobias Zeuch's profile picture

19 October 2021, 8:59

Hi Paul,

thanks for offering access to your development instance. But I would need to read the apache error log. Do you have access to that as well? Then I'll gladly have a look at that.

I understand your concerns about the google calendar and therefore liked the idea of supporting calendars via the public caldav-interface.

If we get it to work, I'm also fine with having the plugin added to the official mahara code, if the developers agree to take over the maintenance.

Best regards
Tobias

19 October 2021, 22:26

Hi Tobias,

I shall take a look and see what I can find. If I am able to find the log, you can certainly take a look at it.

Best regards,

Paul

19 October 2021, 22:44

Attached are some screen shots.

• 2021-10-19 11_38_58-Logs of e-lernplattform.ch - Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 — Firefox Nightly.png
  • 2021-10-19 11_39_29-Logs of e-lernplattform.ch - Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 — Firefox Nightly.png
  • 2021-10-19 11_39_56-Logs of e-lernplattform.ch - Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 — Firefox Nightly.png
  • 2021-10-19 11_40_26-Logs of e-lernplattform.ch - Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 — Firefox Nightly.png
  • 2021-10-19 11_37_18-Logs of e-lernplattform.ch - Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 — Firefox Nightly.png
  • 2021-10-19 11_38_28-Logs of e-lernplattform.ch - Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 — Firefox Nightly.png

20 October 2021, 11:45

Hi Paul,

Thanks for attaching the error log. It seems that the interface  has changed (PluginBlocktype::has_instance_config now takes an instance of BlockInstance as argument). I should be able to fix that within the next couple of days, when I managed to get some local test installation set up.

Best regards
Tobias

Robert Lyon's profile picture

20 October 2021, 12:38

Hi Tobias,

I made a pull request to fix up some incompatible stuff with blocktypes

https://github.com/tobiaszeuch/mahara-blocktype-caldav-calendar/pulls

hopefully that helps for starting to update the plugin

Cheers

Robert

20 October 2021, 20:56

Hi Robert,

Awesome, thanks very much for your input. :-)

Best,

Paul

21 October 2021, 7:50

Hi Robert,

thanks a lot for providing the pull request. I merged it and updated the plugin page with a new download.

@Paul: If you have the chance, please test the new version of the plugin and let me know if it works.

Best regards
Tobias

22 October 2021, 22:44

Hi Tobias,

I am still getting:

Error: <!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8">
  <meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="ie=edge">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no">
  <title>404 Not Found</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="/error_docs/styles.css">
</head>
<body>
<div class="page">
  <div class="main">
    <h1>Server Error</h1>
    <div class="error-code">404</div>
    <h2>Page Not Found</h2>
    <p class="lead">This page either doesn't exist, or it moved somewhere else.</p>
    <hr/>
    <p>That's what you can do</p>
    <div class="help-actions">
      <a href="javascript:location.reload();">Reload Page</a>
      <a href="javascript:history.back();">Back to Previous Page</a>
      <a href="/">Home Page</a>
    </div>
  </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Any thoughts?

• Calendar 2.png
  • Calendar 1.png

23 October 2021, 9:55

Hi Paul,

I finally got to fire up my linux pc and got docker with the mahara-containers to run on it. The file I had uploaded didn't work for me neither, but when I recreated it under linux, it suddenly worked. I'll attach a new version of the plugin.

When I tried the autodiscover for the calendars, I realized, that the calendar name has to be removed from the base-url afterwards. But besides that, the plugin at least displays my owncloud-calendar and I can see the details for an event (when I leave the edit-mode of the page).

Please give it a try. There is a lot of space for improvement. Unfortunately, I didn't see the last message in this thread - before you picked it up again and didn't even realize that anyone was using it. I can't promise much, but I should be able to look at one or the other small issue.

Best regards
Tobias

• caldavcalendar-2.1.0.zip