Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Installing 16.04 500 Error

oreoluwa adeolu's profile picture

07 October 2016, 7:16

Hello, 

I am trying to install Mahar 16.04 I use to have the 15.10 version. But I am doing an clean install of the most updated system. For some reason I have followed all of the directions for the last three days and I keep getting a 500 Error, my permission on the folders are 0755 and not 0777 also the other files are at 0664 so I am sincerely in a loop and stuck can someone give me more information I have deleted the site and tried reinstall it several times, even reinstalled the old system and tried to upgrade it instead and i still received an 500 error code. I have checked and triple checked everything. It would be nice to upgrade, but if not, then we will go back to the older system. 

Thanks if someone can help in advance. 

07 October 2016, 7:39

I added this line to the .htaccess file 

DirectoryIndex default.html
#AddType application/x-httpd-php5 php

Then instead of the installer showing up, now it shows the files within the directory. So, the installation is not starting.... Can anyone help me please.

Oh I also noticed, that the 16.04 download does not have a external directory in it, is that directory not needed for this install?  Thought I would ask, apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have searched the forum and cannot find a answer. Again I have been at this for three days and would like to know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks... 

Kevin Rickis's profile picture

07 October 2016, 9:05

Hi oreoluwa,

If you can provide more information I will try to help, which system you are hosting on? 

What are the owner & group names set on the folder?

By "external directory" are you referring to the "maharadata"?

Kevin

07 October 2016, 10:27

Hello Kevin and Thanks a lot.... 

I am hosting on  a Cpanel,  I do not understand what you mean, about the names on the folder. Yes, I am speaking about the maharadata, about the external directory... 

-Oreoluwa 

07 October 2016, 11:03

It is on a linux server I just learned.... I hope this helps...

-Jamie

07 October 2016, 22:07

Hi,

first I'm assuming that the new version of Mahara is in a folder which is named the same as the old one and that that folder contains only the contents of the 'htdocs' folder from the downloaded archive.

Which specific Linux system is being used? If it is a Debian based system such as Ubuntu then the owner and group should usually both be set 'www-data' of it is Red Hat based, such as Fedora or Cent-OS then these should usually be set to 'apache', assuming that you are using Apache as your web server.

I have no experience using C-Panel.

Kevin

08 October 2016, 1:26

Hello, 

You are right there is only one folder in the download and it is the htdocs, the external folder I was looking for was explained in these directions to install using Cpanel: http://linx.ml/view/view.php?t=4LvhtJH8NgEMfy1Ii3R5   I followed all the instructions and nothing worked. I found the message to add to the .htaccess file in the Error 500 message I received. That is how I knew to add that line to the .htaccess file. 

Also, yes the system 

• CENTOS 6.8 x86_64 kvm – sienna

Also, I am using WHM as well, I do not know if that will be an issue with it.  All of the websites that are hosted use this setup. With the old Mahara installation I did not have any issues at all. I followed the directions and it installed perfectly. Should I install that one and then try to upgrade it again. I have to get the system back up soon. 

As for the rights on the folder. I am kinda lost I just made sure all the folders in the public_html were set to 0755 and the other files are set at 0664, as with the older installation. 

Thanks again, 

-Jamie

08 October 2016, 2:28

Hi,

You can the external folder is empty for a fresh install to start with and populated by Mahara anyway so you can just create it by hand. If you are upgrading the it will be the same folder that was used previously.

Can you run the following commands? ls -la in the directory that contains htdocs and also pwd -LP so that I can get some idea of the lay of the land as it were.

Cheers,

Kevin. 

12 October 2016, 11:09

Hello Kevin,

I apologize for the late reply. An emergency came up dealing with family. I will create the folder by hand and the commands I am running can they be ran on a hosting server using linux or I should ssh into the server?  I might be a bit confused about what your asking for. Since it is on a hosting server like host gator. Can you explain a bit more please. Then i will get it hopefully. 

Thanks, 

-Jamie... 

P. S. I can try to install it offline on my machine locally and get what you mean. I will try that too! 

Ghada El-Zoghbi's profile picture

24 October 2016, 18:04

Hi Jamie,

To run the commands Kevin was asking for, you'll need to ssh into the server.

He wants to check the list of files in the directory and that you are indeed in the correct directory.

How are you doing with the install? Do you need any assistance?

Thanks,

Ghada

16 results