Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Installing 16.04 500 Error

Alvaro Davila's profile picture

27 October 2016, 2:59

Tengo el mismo problema. Error 500. Ya eliminé el .htaccess y aún tengo el mismo mensaje.

oreoluwa adeolu's profile picture

02 November 2016, 8:18

Hello,

I did not get the install of 16.04 to work, so I tried 16.10 and installed it, but the problem is no one can sign up for the website or receive emails, I have searched the whole forum and completely exhausted everything I could. So, I did get the 16.10 to install on my hosting using Cpanel.

It was really easy, although the 16.10 system will not send out emails, even if I use the settings from the lib/configdefaults.php  or inside the system under site configuration --> Email settings (I tried both and even reinstalled the system twice). I also contacted my hosting provider to see if it was on their one their end and it was not, we can send emails from older systems of mahara, but not the up to date mahara installation.

So, my last attempt at getting this to work, I create an user internally, they have an account, but they will not get their details emailed to them. In the end of it all, I have many accounts and profiles that need to be set up and did not want to do it manually for each person in our organization, that would take a couple of months to do. Is the current system 16.10 not complete?

The error 500 issue was because the files did not have the right permission on the server, so my hosting provider helped me with that.  Also, they have quick install on their Cpanel, to install mahara, but it is a really old and outdated version of Mahara.  This has been a night mare for me, as I was just trying to update the 15.10 version of mahara I had before. I am thinking about going back to that version, but wanted some of the new features of the new system or the newest system. Everyone has pretty much lost their accounts as all of this is going on, except for me keeping the old database dumb of the old system.  Can I get some help on the email issue of the new system if so let me know,  I can provide the link along with the admin details or the Cpanel login details so it can be worked out, I do not want to go back to the Old system, yet we have that in the place now and the 16.10 system is in a sub domain until we can get the registration and email issue resolved.

We are trying to set the website up like it is here on mahara.org, yet we are a long ways away and a lot of issues in it seems.

Again I apologize about the delayed reply, I was trying to find ways to get this taken care of and we do not want to use wordpress. Any help would be great.

-Jamie (Oreoluwa)

Robert Lyon's profile picture

02 November 2016, 11:53

Hi Jamie,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with Mahara 16.10

Some things you can check to make sure things are all set up correct.

Things you could check:

1) Make sure that

$cfg->sendemail = true;

This can be found in /config.php and/or /lib/config-defaults.php - the one in config.php will be the overriding one - if it is set to false no emails will be sent.

2) Some emails are queued up in the database and sent out via a cronjob running. Is the cron set up and running correctly on your site? You can check this by going the Administration section of the site and look in the 'Mahara: Site information' box. It should indicate if your cron is running or not.

3) Have a look under Administration -> Configure site -> Site options -> Notification settings. Are the choices there set to 'Email' or something else. If they are set to 'Inbox' or 'None' then emails will not be sent for those notification types.

4) Users can individually overrule site notification settings with their own. Log in as a user and go to Settings -> Notifications to check what the user has set their notifications as.

5) Make sure the correct notification module is installed and active. Go to Administration -> Extensions and make sure the plugin 'multirecipientnotification' is both installed and active.

6) Another thing to check is

$cfg->sendallemailto = '[email protected]';

This can be found in /config.php and/or /lib/config-defaults.php - the one in config.php will be the overriding one.

Set it to an email address you can access and then try sending an email via the system by going to you Mahara inbox (letter image top right) and sending a message to another user. Your email address should get the email.

Hopefully this helps in diagnosing your problems

Cheers

Robert

02 November 2016, 15:17

Thanks for the reply, 

I have set everything as you said. And I created an user  in the system and with the configuration $cfg->sendallemailto = '[email protected]';   I received the message below. I followed all of the checking that you suggested started with number one, using the settings you said to use.  Now when i received this email,  I do not remember setting up an [email protected]  email anywhere in the system.  While this configuration was enabled (I disabled it to test out if another user can register and get the email they need to get after the institution approves them).  I sent two messages between the internal user I set up and myself and they worked great. So, when I disabled the setting in number six, I received the internal email, but after I approved the user trying to register on the website for the institution, they did not receive an email and neither did I as the administrator. 

When the user registers they get the normal message here: "You have successfully submitted your application for registration. The institution adminstrator has been notified, and you will receive an email as soon as your application has been processed." Yet, after this the institution approves them and  they do not receive and email at all. Also, because I am trying to get this to work, the admin user does not receive the email from mahara saying some one has requested approval for the institution. I knew to go there and look under pending registrations for the user, because I was the one who signed up for the institution and are troubleshooting. 

Now, with number six on the list enabled I tried to signup for the institution as a user who would request access and everything and I received the normal "You have successfully submitted your application for registration. The institution adminstrator has been notified, and you will receive an email as soon as your application has been processed." I approved the user and immediately I received the email from the system to the administrators email, yet without this setting in the config.php file, enabled, I would not receive anything and the user requesting access would not receive and email either. Without it enabled I waited for about an hour or two to see if the email would come through, because you said sometimes it is depending on cron, I do have cron setup correctly, checking things every minute, I believe. 

Message where the internal user sent a message and where the admin responded:

NOTICE: This email was intended for Admin User (admin) <[email protected]> but
has been sent to you as per the "sendallemailto" configuration setting.

You have been sent a notification from Mahara. Message follows:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Checking this out

internal user (iboc) has sent you a message. To view this message, visit

http://test.osiprofession.club/module/multirecipientnotification/sendmessage.php?replyto=1&returnto=inbox

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an auto-generated notification from Mahara. To update your notification
preferences, visit
http://test.osiprofession.club/account/activity/preferences/index.php

Please do not reply to this message.

The message where I signed up on mahara with the setting email to and my admins emails address enabled (number six on the list): 

NOTICE: This email was intended for Jamie Nichols <[email protected]> but has been sent to you as per the "sendallemailto" configuration setting.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for requesting an account on Mahara. The institution adminstrator has been notified of your application. You will receive another email as soon as your application has been considered.

--
Regards,
The Mahara Team

Please do not reply to this message.

The user does not receive the email after their application has been approved.  I hope I was really thorough as I am really wanting to use the new system. Do you have any other ideas, anyone, this would help us out a lot. 

Thanks- so much for your help everyone who has left reply for me.

-Jamie (oreoluwa)

02 November 2016, 15:42

Okay checked the internal messaging between each other it works and sends the notification to each user, yet it does not show a notification of emails where the letter icon is in the top right of the site. It does show it on the dash board though. 

This was done without the config file setting in number six. So, I am guessing the internal messaging is working. 

Thanks in advance

-Jamie (oreoluwa)

Robert Lyon's profile picture

04 November 2016, 9:14

Hi Jamie,

For the issue around the '[email protected]' email address can you run this command on the database:

SELECT u.id, u.email AS usr_email, a.title AS artefact_email, ae.email as artefact_internal_profile_email FROM usr u JOIN artefact a ON a.owner = u.id JOIN artefact_internal_profile_email ae ON ae.owner = u.id WHERE u.username = 'admin' AND a.artefacttype = 'email' AND ae.principal = 1;

It will check to make sure that all the places we record the admin email address is correct (why we record it in more than 1 place is a bit strange but legacy code I guess). If they are not all the same and correct then you would need to update the appropriate places in the database

Cheers

Robert

16 results