Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
New Authentication Plugin: OpenID Connect

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 March 2016, 21:10

Hi All,

My name is James McQuillan and I'm a developer with Remote-Learner. We recently released a new authentication plugin for Mahara that implements OpenID Connect. Enter a client ID and secret in the settings and you should be good to go with any identity provider that supports this open standard.

This is an extension of our work Microsoft on the Office 365 Moodle plugins we've developed over the past year or so. Office 365 supports OpenID Connect for authentication and access tokens so we were able to create a standards-compliant OpenID Connect implementation that provided our connection to Office 365. While we built it with Office 365 in mind, it is standards-compliant so it can be used with any OpenID Connect provider.

I should also note that Microsoft is also really interested to hear what else you'd like to see from Office 365 in Mahara. We've built a lot of integrations for Moodle and there are pretty extensive APIs to work with. Office 365 is free for education use so give it a try and let us know what else you'd like to see!

The plugin is listed on the plugins wiki page (sorry couldn't post a link as I'm a new user). Please let us know how this works for you and what else you'd like to see in the future. 

Thanks!

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

10 March 2016, 7:31

Hello James,

I am looking forward to using the OpenID plugin.Thank you for putting that up.

As for the wish items you wanted some feedback: I am not sure what the cloud plugin does https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Plugins/Artefact/Cloud  but I assume it works similar to how the Google Apps blocktype.

Aside from a nice Onenote integration, I could see Outlook calendar integration as being useful especially due to the fact that there is no calendar in Mahara. I can imagine working within a group in Mahara and wanting to schedule a meeting with group members. It could be exciting if I could schedule Mahara group members from within Outlook perhaps as a Spype meeting. Maybe Mahara tasks could push into Outlook tasks. Outlook has a 'Connect to your Social Networks' feature. Maybe one or more Mahara instances could be a social network. Maybe Outlook calendar could aggregate and sort my Mahara page creation/page edit activity somehow.

Those are just some of my ideas. This list could obviously be much longer but maybe its a start. 

2 results