Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Language pack

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 June 2009, 20:24

Did someone already translate  Mahara into  Traditional Chinese?

Language pack did not see about Traditional Chinese.

and

why i typed Traditional Chinese in mahara ,Does not correctly display  only can see "???????"

thank you          , peggyy

Account deleted

20 June 2009, 22:31

I can tell you that it is a character encoding issue with either PHP or the database (or both). Unfortunately, I can't really tell you how to fix it. A lot of web developers struggle with this issue when using Chinese and Japanese characters.
Account deleted

13 June 2011, 0:34

its also happening for the language Bangla. One of my friend who is working in Microsoft Bangladesh helped me to solve this problem. SO it means that it can be solved for Chiniese language too.

Thanks

Ajim tui koi.

Youth Development Pleasanton
Account deleted

21 June 2009, 20:04

Hi. Firstly, I'm not aware of a translation into traditional Chinese. I know a guy (Todd) was doing one a long time ago, but I haven't heard from him for ages.

The character issues could be one of a few things:

• If your database has not been created with a UTF8 encoding, the data won't be stored properly
  • If you don't have a font installed that shows Chinese characters, you'll see question marks or boxes.
  • If your browser has sent data to Mahara in an encoding other that UTF8, the data will be broken

I'm betting that your issue is number 1. Do you know what encoding the database is in?

SteveC: for the record, we have a very good understanding of how database encodings and collations work, Mahara is a UTF8 native Smile. Any issues we've had recently with the upgrade path to 1.1 have been inexperience-with-MySQL issues Wink

Account deleted

21 June 2009, 20:15

The fact that I'm using MySQL probably explains why my install of Mahara won't store Greek characters in the database correctly (even though the database and tables have been created with UTF8 encoding).  I had to convert the characters before storing them in the database.
Account deleted

21 June 2009, 21:06

Convert the characters from what to what?

Mahara sends back all pages with a UTF8 character set, which means all browsers should respond with UTF8 encoded form data. In practice, I think IE takes liberties, especially with regards to "winlatin" (codepage1252) . How were you inserting the dodgy characters originally?

Account deleted

22 June 2009, 1:42

I find
1.MySql set utf8_bin  ,
2.php file have to save as "utf8"

it can show the correct character
Cool

Account deleted

23 June 2009, 18:59

Yep that's the one Cool
Account deleted

14 May 2011, 5:22

For languages with characters that don’t encode the same in UTF-8 and latin1 (e.g. Simplified Chinese or Russian) then you have to set to UTF-8 both the table definition and the encoding of the connection to the database. Set collation if you need to sort data in a way that makes sense to the users of that language.

Here are pretty much all variables associated with a character set:

mysql_query('SET names=utf8'); 
mysql_query('SET character_set_results=utf8');
mysql_query("SET character_set_database=utf8");
mysql_query("SET character_set_connection=utf8");
mysql_query("SET character_set_system=utf8");
mysql_query("SET character_set_client=utf8");
mysql_query('SET collation_connection=utf8_general_ci');
mysql_query('SET collation_database=utf8_general_ci'); 
mysql_query('SET collation_server=utf8_general_ci');
Account deleted