Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
File browser/uploader vanished? And other issues...

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 December 2008, 0:59

First off, great software! And I'd probably like it even more if it would work for me the way it appears it should, hehe!

Yesterday I did a fresh install of Mahara 1.0.6 on a server running PHP 5.2.2 and MySQL 5.0.45 on Debian. Had a small problem during install with the config file; for some reason I kept getting a "parse error: unexpected t_variable on line ___" in regards to the image size code at the bottom of the file. Commenting these lines out solved that problem, but now I can't upload images unless they are between 0px by 0px and ____.

That's not my biggest concern at the moment, however. Last night I was able to view the file browser under My Portfolio and upload files, etc... without any issue. This morning when I started working on it all again, the file browser had mysteriously vanished from existence. I can visit the My Files page, but the browser/upload part never loads. Files that I had uploaded previously and placed into views can still be accessed through each individual view.

Thinking I had accidentally messed with a file I shouldn't have, I re-uploaded all of the files that seemed to have anything to do with those functions, but still nothing. I messed with my config file, nothing. I'm not getting any errors in my log, nor am I getting any on screen. It's a total mystery to me. Any ideas?

On top of that, I noticed later in the day that I can't make new blog posts. I can create blogs, but if I try to make a post, every button on the page ceases to function, with the exception of the navigation bar at the top of the screen and the sidebar. None of the editor functions work, and I can't submit or cancel the blog post. Again, no errors in the log.

Help! I want to get this in working order so I can show it off! It's too nice for me to ignore!

Account deleted

18 December 2008, 1:57

Heh, sounds like it started well and ended in a big pile of fail Wink let's try get it started again!

Firstly, the config file: Not sure why you'd be having that problem - I suggest you copy the two lines out of config-dist.php for imagemaxwidth and imagemaxheight and put them in your config.php, and see if you get the errors again. If you do, please upload the contents of your file to a paste service (after blanking out the database password etc.), and let us have a look at it - there's probably an easy solution.

The most important thing to know about the file browser is it's a javascript-only thing. You shouldn't be able to log in without having javascript on, but maybe somehow javascript is disabled on that page? Try different web browsers and see if some other one works. 

Not sure what might be wrong with the blogs. It could be a javascript issue again though. What browser are you using?

Hope that helps. 

Account deleted

18 December 2008, 23:01

A pile of fail indeed... hehe

I had noticed the file browser was all java, which is part of why I'm completely baffled by this whole problem. I'm primarily using Firefox 3, but I've checked it on IE6 and Safari as well, and all have the same problem with both the file browser and the blogs.

I haven't really had a chance to play with it much today, unfortunately. Tomorrow evening over here is my designated "fix Mahara" time, so I should have more to update you with after that.

I did mess some more with the config file. Started from scratch with the config-dist file, and now I get that same error in regards to the error reporting lines and the image size lines. I can't see anything wrong with them that could give me that type of error, though. Out of curiosity, I'm going to install another instance of Mahara on a different machine just to see what happens. Once I've done that, I'll let you know the outcome.

Account deleted

22 December 2008, 11:37

I installed Mahara on another server, with the same versions of PHP and MySQL, and it's all working correctly now. Must have been something strange going on with the other server, maybe in the Java department. So (knock-on-wood), it will hopefully continue to work as it should now.

I'd still like to figure out why it would just suddenly vanish like it did... Maybe some day when I've got some free time.

Account deleted

30 December 2008, 10:14

I've got asimilar problem - browse & upload fiels missing and blogs gone to pot. I'm on IE7 and tried out  firefox to no avail. I'm on an institution pc and a non-techie. I got up graded to IE7 because thigns weren't working in IE6 - any bright ideas. If my IT folk have to keep intervening I'll probably not get the OK to use Mahara at all!
Account deleted

30 December 2008, 15:18

Hi - what version of Mahara are you using, and is it available to the general public so that I could have a look around it?

6 results