Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Welcome Screen - Accessibility

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

19 June 2009, 0:59

Hello,

Before users can access the Mahara site and its contents, users are required to sign up. I am running a job and resumeposting sites at www.it-careernet.com/jobs and www.it-careernet.com/resumehomepage and was hoping to replace them with the Mahara solution - see http://it-careernet.com/cv/. However, the sign-up requirement would alienate the vast majority of users.

(Apart from that, the login modules of Mahara seem unstable, since I more than often can not log in, without reregistering completely anew.)

How can I configure Mahara such that any visitor of the site can view  the it 's contents without the need to sign up?

Thanks!

Best regards

Roger

Account deleted

21 June 2009, 19:08

Hi - it's not possible to change this requirement in configuration. To be honest, the vast majority of Mahara's functionality (blogs, views etc) require an account, so turning off logins would hide all of the functionality.
Account deleted

22 June 2009, 12:15

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the quick response. I do not want to turn off logins per se.  Instead, I would like any visitor to the site to be able to view the sites contents without having to first log in. I hope that's possible

Thanks

Roger

Account deleted

23 June 2009, 18:40

What content in particular do you want to be viewable?

Views can be shared to the general public, and also groups can be made to have public content.

Account deleted

24 June 2009, 0:38

Nigel, after loggin in at  http://it-careernet.com/cv/, the following page should appear. I would like to have unregistered visitors see all job and resume listings.

What do I need to do?

IT-Careernet

Welcome to IT-Careernet.com

IT-Careernet.com is a fully featured electronic portfolio, weblog, resume builder and social networking system, connecting users and creating online communities.

Collect, reflect on and share your achievements and development online, in a space you control

Free Resume Homepages for IT Professionals

Here are just a few reasons why you should you choose this service

If nobody knows that your resume exists, you may never be found. By posting your resume here, you save yourself the headache of marketing it and registering it with search engines. It's already done! Post your resume - it just takes a minute - and get hundreds of thousands of employees to review your credentials. And best of all, this service is free of charge !

Free Virtual Job Market 

Seeking I.T. Professionals? Post your company profile & tech jobs to our Virtual Job Market free of charge!

Account deleted

24 June 2009, 23:25

Hi - to do that, you'll have to make code modifications to index.php. As to what exact modifications, that's up to you.
Account deleted

09 February 2010, 6:45

Hi,

im trying to do something similar with Mahara although I need to make the front page show a list of profiles for the users on our site.  

Looking at htdocs/index.php it calls a static function View::view_search with arguments such that there is no output as default (as far as I can tell $CFG->homepageviewlist cant be set except in code?).  Ive been having a look at that function and there seems to be some odd things going on in the sql statements - a lot of {view} but with no $ to signify a PHP variable.  I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out?  Are these smarty tags? Or is it something to do with the database abstraction layer? 

Thanks,

Steve 

Account deleted

09 February 2010, 17:06

It's part of the database abstraction layer.  We put {} around table names in all the sql -- the execute_sql function strips them out and adds a prefix if the site has $cfg->dbprefix set.

That $cfg->homepageviewlist stuff is just there as an example for people who might want to add some content to the home page. At some stage we will remove that code, turn the home page into a view, and write some extra blocktypes to display useful content such as lists of recent views, lists of profiles, etc.

Craig Eves's profile picture

22 June 2009, 19:42

It is possible to view mahara content without logging in.

A member can create a view and give public access to the view - by linking to the public view the member of public does not need to login.

The signup isn't too much of a problem - only around  seven fields are required and browsers may fill in the fields if they have been used before.

Account deleted

07 February 2010, 4:29

Hi, Is there a way to show all public View pages in some kind of directory listing or A-Z in the sidebar or elsewhere. So that people accessing the page don't need to guess what stuff might we public accessible and what not.

Andi 

11 results