Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
How to translate TinyMCE wysiwyg editor

David Mudrák's profile picture

12 June 2009, 18:19

I have just spent an hour or so dealing with how to get i18n files for TinyMCE - the mahara wysiwyg editor. The following might help some of you.

Mahara 1.1 ships with TinyMCE 2.1.2 which is an old version. TinyMCE carries its own i18n files and probably they have already been translated by a volunteer. Since TinyMCE 2.0.5, language files are not part of the standard installation but are downloaded separately. Since TinyMCE 3.0, the format of language files has changed and is not backwards compatible. My problem was I could not find where to get the old 2.x language files for TinyMCE (their download tool offers only 3.x format and I have not found the files in their sourceforge.net repo).

Finally I have found a project using TinyMCE with language packs included. This is how I extracted the Czech files ("cs.js") from it.

$ cd ~/tmp
$ svn co http://svn.silverstripe.com/open/thirdparty/tiny_mce/branches/2.1.2
$ mkdir tinymce-2.1.2-cs
$ cd 2.1.2/
$ find . -name cs.js -print0 | xargs -0 tar cf - | tar xf - -C ~/tmp/tinymce-2.1.2-cs/

Then I could simply add the content of tinymce-2.1.2-cs into the mahara/htdocs/js/tinymce.

Post scriptum: richardm_ (irc nickname) from Catalyst should have all language packs as well.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 June 2009, 0:28

Indeed, Richard does have them all hidden somewhere.

As people translate Mahara, they can skip the TinyMCE bit, then when their translation is ready, we will commit it to the Mahara codebase.

David Mudrák's profile picture

14 June 2009, 16:07

Yay! Thanks. On the other hand, if Richard just gave me the Czech files, I would have never learnt anything about TinyMCE localization. Constructivist learning everywhere :-)
anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 June 2009, 19:31

As Nigel said, we'll add the TinyMCE translations one at a time as we get Mahara translations.  But if anyone wants to use them for testing, I put them here:

http://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=12940

This file contains:

ca
cs
cy
da
de
el
en
es
fa
fi