Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Emails aren't being sent

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 June 2009, 12:12

Hi,

I've installed 1.1.3 on an Apache server, no errors in the web config. Yet when I try to register a new user, it doesn't seem to be able to send the email registration. Any tips on how I can track down where the problem is?

Thanks!

Account deleted

02 June 2009, 12:13

Also I'd like to add that I'd really like to avoid SMTP if possible...
Account deleted

02 June 2009, 14:55

Whoops..in re-reading that post I realize I got the version wrong. 1.0.9 (from synaptic)
Account deleted

02 June 2009, 21:47

Hi - e-mail woes seem to be a common problem, though it's almost never Mahara's fault. I started a new thread with answers to some common questions like this - have a read of that, and let me know if it helps Smile
Account deleted

03 June 2009, 7:51

Hey Nigel,

Thanks for the quick reply! I read through your post, but I think I'm not quite clear on how everything should be set up before Mahara. Do I need to configure some sort of e-mail handler for PHP or Apache? I'm rather new to linux servers. 

Thanks!

Account deleted

03 June 2009, 17:42

Nope, you shouldn't need to do any php or apache configuration to make mail work.

Actually, someone pointed out that a possible cause might be if the 'reply' email address is invalid. You might want to try putting this in your config.php and see if you can send emails after that:

$cfg->noreplyaddress = '[email protected]';

Make sure the email address is a valid one!

Account deleted

08 June 2009, 7:44

It does have a valid reply e-mail address.

I tried installing sendmail, cause I wasn't sure what (if anything) was handling mail. Sendmail works, but, I get errors on every email it tries to send, with a connection timeout with the destination mail server. I realize sendmail isn't a Mahara supported app, but do you have any suggestions (or maybe a suggested different program?)

Account deleted

08 June 2009, 18:16

Not really, e-mail delivery isn't my specialty Embarassed. If the connection is timing out with the destination mail server, it might be that your firewall is preventing you sending e-mail. Might be worth investigating?
Account deleted

09 June 2009, 13:24

It probably is a firewall issue actually. I'm on a large campus network with several layers of firewalls between the server and the wide open web.

In the interest of saving time I switched it to SMTP and it's been working like a champ ever since. :)

9 results