Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
can I post a PDF or an imagemap on one of the static pages?

Francine Glazer's profile picture

08 August 2014, 9:13

Hello,

we are using version 1.9.2, and I'd like to customize the logged out home page to display a diagram of how our portfolio process is changing this year, with links to the appropriate documentation. I've uploaded a PDF with hotlinks to a public folder on our system - https://faculty-eportfolio.nyit.edu/artefact/file/download.php?file=46737 - and now am trying to figure out how to get it to display.

Another thing I tried was uploading an imagemap - https://faculty-eportfolio.nyit.edu/artefact/file/download.php?file=46735 - and I'm having trouble because either putting the html file up or adding the html to a text box results in the image being displayed but the hotlinks removed and a "malicious warning" displayed.

Not sure which way is easier. All advice welcomed!

thank you,

Fran Glazer

New York Institute of Technology

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

09 August 2014, 15:30

Hello Fran,

Perhaps you could display the pdf as an image. You'd have to convert the pdf to jpg or png for example. Then you can upload it to your mahara in the public admin file space located under Administration->Configure Site->Site Files->public  Right click the uploaded image and copy the picture URL. Now go to the logged out front page and add it there like you already did with text. You could get a little fancy and add a small image of your pdf and link it to the actual pdf so that when someone clicks the image, the pdf becomes available to download or open. This can be done using the mahara editor.

HTH

Dirk

12 August 2014, 3:15

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I did figure out how to post an image. The problem I'm having is that I want to create an imagemap - in other words, specific areas of the image are links to different pages with additional information.

I can paste the imagemap info into the html for the page displaying the image, but it gets deleted.

So ... then I tried posting a PDF with "hot zones" on it that serve as links to the various locations.  When mahara displays the PDF, it strips the links out and puts a "malicious code" warning at the top of the page.  How can I prevent this from happening? Is there a way to tell mahara that the PDF is "safe"?

thanks,

Fran

Don Presant's profile picture

12 August 2014, 4:21

Hi Fran:

Not sure if this makes sense, but did you try to post "Some HTML", ie an uploaded HTML file that might embed the image map...

12 August 2014, 4:26

Yes, I tried that first!  mahara edited the imagemap coordinates out of the html file before displaying it.  After that didn't work, I tried pasting in the html into a text box as mentioned above.

thanks

Fran

Robert Lyon's profile picture

12 August 2014, 7:05

Hi Fran,

The issue with image maps is currently the htmlpurifier (system we use to remove possibly dangerous code) does not accept image maps.

There is a bug for this https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1354286

And a patch currently being looked at to rectify this problem.

Cheers

Robert

7 results