Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Auto email of Institution membership

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 February 2014, 3:43

Is there some way of suppressing the email that is automatically sent to users when they are added to an Institution?

I am trying to separate our worldwide membership into Institutions by country so that we can analyse usage.

The email sent out to about instition membership is confusing to our members and I would prefer it not to be sent out at all.

14 February 2014, 4:42

Hello,

I don't remember having seen an option to avoid the sending of an entroducting email to new users. I think that it is important to inform users on their acceptation or forced enrolment into institutions and groups.

-dajan

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 February 2014, 22:57

It is not the welcome email that i wish to suppress. When I enrol users via CSV, I put them into the appropriate Institution at the same time.

The new user then receives two emails, one with their log in details, the other telling them they are in Institution xyz. It is the latter I wish to prevent being sent.

15 February 2014, 0:58

Right.

What I did on my server is to send a SQL command that changes users prefs about the ways they receive their mail. This way I am sure they will receive their mail into the inBox.

But in your case I would suggest the following:

1. Create your CSV file with all your users
  2. Refering to the Admin manual, section 9.3.7, "Add and update users by CSV" you can add to your CSV the setting "maildisabled".
  3. Import your users
  4. Add the users to the different institutions
  5. Edit your CSV file and change le "maildisabled" settings
  6. Re-import the CSV file

So during the management of your users of placing them into the different institutions, their email will be blocked. When you re-import the CSV you enable their mail and from then on they will start to receive notification of what is happening on your Mahara.

4 results