Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
LDAP and institution

Yaju Mahida's profile picture

15 May 2009, 1:11

We are using LDAP for authentication. We have all staff and student information is stored on LDAP.

Now, we are having two institution and we want that when student logs in first time they becomes part of  XXXStudent institution.

And when staff logs in first time, they becomes part of  XXXStaff institution.

In LDAP the context ou=staff and ou=student distinguish them.

Is it possible? How ?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 May 2009, 20:40

Yes, I believe it is. Set up both institutions, and an LDAP plugin for each one, and give each one the different context string.

When users try to log in, each plugin will be tried in turn. Only the one with the user should respond, thus associating that user with that institution.

18 May 2009, 22:21

Thanks working fine.

19 May 2009, 20:21

We were using one institution called XXX and all the staff and students were into the same institution. They all were authenticated using the Central LDAP.

Now, with the use of same LDAP using different context we want to move/seperate the staff from XXX into XXXStaff institution.

Using the Manage Institution we can invite them but it sends invite email and they have to respond to it. We don’t want to do this.

Even using manage user we can add another institution (multiple institutions) into these staff members called XXXStaff and can remove XXX.  This also sends email to all these peoples about removed and added. And they are around 110 so laborious to do this.

So, to achieve this we are directly dealing with the MySQL database through SQL statements.

We are finding these staff from user table and updating their institution and new authentication module with different context that works for them. 

We are updating the usr table and field authinstance with new one for XXXStaff. And in table usr_institution the field institution with new institution name XXXStaff isntead of XXX.

Is there anything else we need to update or look?

We have done this successfully in DEV environment. And found working fine at this stage.

We want to make sure that this will not have a worst effect or something strange on the functionalities for these staff people/Mahara.

Please, confirm about this so we can go ahead with TEST environment and then latter on for PRODUCTION.

Thanks in advance.

Account deleted

19 May 2009, 23:43

Hi. What you are doing sounds about right. I can't think of anything else you'd want to do. The foreign keys should prevent you from doing anything too dodgy at least.

You might want to update the lastauthinstance column too. It actually doesn't have a point in Mahara 1.1, and we plan to remove it, but in the interests of being thorough it wouldn't hurt to update it too.

I would have recommended you tested this carefully on a dev environment, but you're ahead of me already Cool

20 May 2009, 0:29

We are using 1.0.11 as many things brakes after upgrading to the 1.1.x.  But works fine in 1.2.alphaxxx so in future looking to upgrade with any 12.x stable branch.

Update lastauthinstance with the new authinstance id for XXXStaff  ?

Account deleted

20 May 2009, 2:07

Yes, that's the one. Oops, I should have said Smile
Account deleted

25 February 2011, 6:52

Hi  everyone;

Please help me to configure my Mahara 1.3.3 with an LDAP server v3...I create an instituion ldap but it dosen't work ....and my ldap connection work

Pleaaaaase help me it's very impotant for me

Thanks in advance

8 results