Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Couple of ideas for the future

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 June 2009, 10:20

Hi Heinz,

as you advised me, I copied relevant files of the English language pack into the "langpacks" folder located in "maharadata". The consequence is - as I expected - that a copy of that language is shown in the language selector at the homepage.

Do you have any idea of how to avoid this? ... Cause I don't want to have 2 options  -  1) the original English version and 2) the edited English version  -  to be displayed at the homepage for the same  language (-> English).

Many thanks in advance!

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

03 June 2009, 17:52

Hi, this is currently a limitation, there is a feature request open about fixing it.
Heinz Krettek's profile picture

06 June 2009, 10:29

Hi Peer,

why don't copy the modified langpack over the existing one? Keep your modifications in a seperate folder for future changes.

HTH Heinz

Account deleted

07 June 2009, 15:22

Hi Heinz,

yes, that's what I'm currently doing. However this does not overcome some problems while updating. For instance, in case of an Mahara update you might delete new string defintions that has been introduced due to new features of Mahara. 

So, in my opinion these string definitions of a langpack should be treated similar to CSS-Files. For each language there should be an empty user spedific language file located in the theme folder. User should copy & paste and finally change the relevant string definitions in this file. This user specific language file should be included after all other original files of the languag pack so that the string defintions of the original langpack would be overwritten.

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

08 June 2009, 0:35

That's an interesting idea, maybe that's how we could implement the feature in an easy way.. it might be worth putting a comment on the feature request?
Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

08 June 2009, 2:38

Maybe you could have a look at how Moodle handles this. There you can edit the language strings (in the same way the adminlang branch of Mahara does) and then the edited strings (and only those) are saved to a local strings file in the moodledata lang directory. And when looking for a string, that file is loaded last (if it exists) so it overwrites any standard string definition.

Saludos. Iñaki.

Account deleted

29 May 2009, 11:53

cont'd:

-- adding the registration process under [Admin] / Site options: "Require invitation to register" and corresponding invitation form for current site members.

Account deleted

30 May 2009, 21:36

Hi - the best way to make sure your ideas are considered for future versions is to make feature requests on the tracker - that way we have them all in one place and can gauge the popularity of them quickly (sadly development time is limited, we can't do everything immediately!).

18 results