Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Themes 101 and move to v1.8

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

15 January 2014, 3:42

Hi,

I'm working on updating the Ambrosia theme for 1.8 but encountered a bit of a snag in how it displays the new editing blocktype (screenshot). I'll need to read up on this a bit more and should hopefully fix it once I've got time to figure out how themes have changed between v1.6 and v1.8.

I don't suppose anybody has a quick guide to converting older themes to 1.8? The new theming guide looks useful but seems to be focused on developing using the core 1.8 themes as a template rather than what you'd need to modify when converting existing themes from earlier versions.

Thanks, Gordon.

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

16 January 2014, 11:36

Hi Gord,

delete or rename the folder called 'view' in /ambrosia/templates/

Sorry I never checked this before.

Dirk

16 January 2014, 22:37

Hi Dirk,

Thanks - so it will then just use the default settings. Definately a simpler solution that going through the files in view line-by-line to compare to spot what was different (I really wasn't looking forward to that). I'll give that a go and see how it looks.

Regards, Gordon.

26 February 2014, 4:35

Hi Dirk,

Job done - Ambrosia 1.8 published to github and available via the contributed themes wiki page. https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Themes/Contributed_themes

Thanks, Gordon.

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

05 March 2014, 17:46

Right on. Thanks Gordon. Installed in www.portfoliocommunities.com and looking great. I especially like the menu background in collection tabs.

06 March 2014, 2:22

Thanks Dirk - seeing someone using it makes it worthwhile.

The collection tabs 'pop' when set like this, but I'm still wondering whether the tab of the page you are on should be the sole coloured one rather than other tabs being highlighted and the current being plain - but I'd hope this display attracts the user attention to the other pages.

Cheers, Gordon.

16 results