Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Mac OS

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 May 2009, 12:54

I know you don't actively support the Mac OS platform however, I was able to successfully install Mahara in about an hour this afternoon. 

I am having an issue with authentication.  It seems that the site forces me to login everytime that I click on a link.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Account deleted

12 May 2009, 13:36

Hi Scott

That sounds like session files are not being written for some reason.  Mahara puts sessions in dataroot/sessions into hashed directories.

Can you look in there and see if there are any session files? Also php is probably complaining about not being able to write them, there'll be an error in the apache log probably.

The most likely problem is a permissions one - the session directory (and indeed, all of dataroot), must be writable by the webserver.

12 May 2009, 14:26

Could also be a bad config.php file.

I'm not sure exactly which setting are you missing but you could try to copy the config-defaults.php to config.php, tune it and try again.

It could helps.

Account deleted

12 May 2009, 16:55

No, no, no - do not copy config-defaults.php to config.php. Only ever copy config-dist.php Surprised

I might rename config-defaults.php actually.

Account deleted

12 May 2009, 16:57

If that is happening, you may need to set $cfg->insecuredataroot = true in the config.php, try clearing all your cookies and logging in again. But that may not help - in which case I recommend you have a look at the cookies Mahara is sending you and whether they look like they're for the correct domain and path.

12 May 2009, 17:39

What's so bad with config-defaults.php?

Actually lost my time to figure out the same problem on one installation that wasn't made by me and the issue was exactly config-dist.php.

I solved it using the config-defaults.php

Regards

Account deleted

12 May 2009, 22:45

config-defaults.php is always included, and sets default values for a bunch of configuration settings. Most of those settings you never have to touch.

config-dist.php is the one that is the template for config.php, and contains the settings you always need to change.

If you see a setting in config-defaults.php that you want to change, what you should do is copy the setting to your config.php and change it there.

What I will probably do is put a comment in that file explaining that, and move it somewhere that it can't be confused with config-dist.php, just so everyone knows this Smile

7 results