Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
MAC osx xserve install

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 6:46

You guys are most welcome to make a wiki page about installation on the Mac, and also to start a new group here on mahara.org to help people installing Mahara on Mac as well Cool. We can funnel people to the group from various parts of mahara.org Smile
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:06

In my considerable Mac experience I'd consider a 3rd Party card a waste of time and dollars, especially with Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" just around the corner. And, I think you are right about considering setting up a virtualised Mac system if it has to be on another box that is not really your own concern.

I think I'd have a go at trying to convince the powers that be at your employ to fund purchase of a Mac mini for eval purposes. Have a look at -

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini

This is what I've just built on. One bought now should be considered able to give you a great Mac experience for say up to 5 years.

Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:10

My salary is generous considering what im actually doing here -- however i was considering buying one myself and bringing it in. I dont really use computers at home at all anymore (i rarely even have a game of halo3!) but my dept alos has a budget i can draw from. We have external hosting at the moment but im looking into the easiest way for me to manage a mahara install. Our proxy will not aloow me any kind of shell access to the hosting and im very limited as to what i can do on the existing internet connection. we need to convince the powers that be to let us install our own adsl connection here just for testing and hosting purposes.
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:11

Now that i think about it snow leopard has had all the ppc stuff trimmed out of it and will only support intel based architecture now. is this true?

Also, I'm in australia, so you can just about double those prices. I can look into the discounts they offer for schools, students and peoplem working within the educations departments that australia has.

Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:19

Yes. That's right. At least by all the indications and rumours about Snow Leopard to date. That's why I'd consider a 3rd party processor upgrade for a sawtooth Mac a wasted investment. Plus, the upgrade would likely be half the cost of a mini and then you'd still have all the other old hardware of the sawtooth holding you back.
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:29

That makes sense. Ill keep an eye open over the coming weeks and see if i can find something that will work for me.
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:57

Luke,

Oz Apple Edn price for base model Mac mini is AUS$863  ex GST. 

Cheers. 

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

21 May 2009, 19:58

There is a wiki page now with the title 'Mac Installation'. There is also a group by the name 'Mac Installation' Please do feel free to join.

As for getting a Mac into the hands of the developers: 

Nigel, a couple questions: What sort of set up would work best for you? Physical machine on your desk or remotely hosted preferred? 

I recently purchased a mac mini for private use. I could enable port forwarding at my house but I doubt that is what we want here. 

I can help financially a bit but its limited. I don't have a budget from work for this sort of thing. Is there a way to set up some sort of donation account?  Is anyone aware of potential donors?

Peter, I will try to start the install tomorrow afternoon using XAMP and will document as best I can. It might have to wait until next week though. 

Account deleted

21 May 2009, 22:26

Interesting. Dirk, send me a real email. :)
Account deleted

22 May 2009, 21:18

Hi, I moved your wiki page to be under the installation instructions.

What we ideally need is a machine with administrator access - furthermore, one we can reinstall if required. This doesn't mean a physical machine, a vm would probably do, but we would need admin access to it and the ability to blow it away and make a new one (I have no idea if Mac's can be virtualised btw).

We should probably set up some kind of donation scheme...