Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
MAC osx xserve install

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 May 2009, 22:59

if its local it should be fine. Ive never seen the point in securing my unix based systems when they are local(nobody in my house has any idea what it is that i actually do).

How old are the students in question? Is it likely any of them would have knowledge of using a console or anything like that? if the answer is no then you are pretty much in the clear. even in my later high school years I had a rough time trying to explain to my computing teachers how remote exploits and all that worked, much less my peers.

Account deleted

20 May 2009, 23:22

"I think its ok for me anyways as the instance will be on a local subnet only and not accessible from the 'world'."  

Yes, Dirk, I agree with Luke, in this case you should be fine. Internally, on a school network, if not exposed through your firewall to the cloud, the users that could try some nasties against the server are known to you and not anonymous like the global users.

Account deleted

20 May 2009, 23:28

It will be good to get the experiences of yourself, Dirk, and others who might try my Mac install method documented here, to add to our collective knowledge. I'd be happy to turn my notes into a Mac Install Instructions page on the Mahara Wiki, once we have some further confirmed experiences, if it is thought that would be helpful.
Account deleted

20 May 2009, 23:39

the only mac i have access to atm is running tiger. its an old sawtooth g4 and will not run leopard. I heard something about there being a copy of leopard that supported the older mac architecture but i put it aside thinking it was just hearsay and rumour.
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 0:38

Unfortunately, Luke, the sawtooth Mac models are too old for Leopard (unless they have been upgraded with a third party PPC processor upgrade to a minimum 867MHz).

I've found today a couple of things I'd have liked to have done differently with my current Mahara build so I'm starting to think I might have an opportunity to QA my build notes soon on a new production build. I'll be able to confirm if I'm heading in that direction in the next week.

Account deleted

21 May 2009, 0:53

Where does one get access to one of these 3rd party upgrades Pete? You've got my eyebrow raised now, and im very interested. :P What do you know about osx86 project? If you own a copy of leopard you -should- be able to emulate a modern mac with something like vmware. I could do that here but I dont know how my dept would go with me running vmware on one of thier precious machines :P

Account deleted

21 May 2009, 0:56

This has got me thinking we should have some kind of mac thread. there seems to be some here that can offer some kind of community support for mac based installs in the interim while the developers sort out getting a mac or 2 to play with :D
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 0:59

"This has got me thinking we should have some kind of mac thread." 

I guess that's along the lines of what I was thinking by suggesting a Wiki page for Mac Installs.

Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:04

a wiki would be great, but somewhere for people to ask questions would be great as well. i can imagine a wiki would take much of the pain of a console based install out. only a select few people truly master the console environment. any way we can make it easier would just benefit people.
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 1:08

"take much of the pain of a console based install out."

Yes. That's what I'm trying to achieve.