Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
MAC osx xserve install

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 7:01

One of the reasons I use Macports Apache2 and so on is the flexibility of it compared to OSX standard and even mamp & xxamp. They are packetsolutions that gives u a standard and its often not so easy to install additional plugins.

In Macports the entire atp-get library is at ur fingertips. And it is often more updated.

There are som great guides out there how to install Macports and so, the one I used, was this one: http://samuraicoder.net/installing_php_and_mysql_leopard_macports_prealpha its a bit old and there are things u can skip its fairly accurate.

The only real tweak I have from a standard Macportsinstall is I do the complete:

port install php5 +apache2 +mysql5 +server
but I dont use the macports mysql, instead I point the php.ini to the OSXS original Mysql. 
And then I use the Mysql admin.
But u have to learn some Terminal trix or do as I did, a AppleScript that sends the commands to the Macport :) 

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 May 2009, 19:13

Interesting. I used an app called fink -- it gave me the debain style apt-get functionality and access to all the ported software off linux distros. I found it really easy to use, considering I spent alot of time using Debian(the real debian).
52 results