Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Portfolio Commons project

Don Presant's profile picture

16 January 2014, 0:42

It's great to see this interest...let me ask what the options are.

If needed, does anyone have access to something more robust than Hangouts?

16 January 2014, 0:34

Hi Don,

How could I meet up with you on this tomorrow ?

Cheers

-dajan

16 January 2014, 2:56

I just spoke to Simon Grant, and here is the situation:

There will be two Hangouts tomorrow, since not all of the InLOC members can make the evening (EU time) meeting:

• 2pm GMT
  • 730pm GMT

The additional reason is to have two kicks at the can, partly to make sure we're all on the same page re expectations. Simon wants to avoid people thinking that InLOC can do more than it was designed to do.

I will attend both. Any NZ participants will no doubt continue to attend the later one. Others may choose to attend one or both.

Mike, I'm not sure which of these works best for you and John. If you can manage both, it would be ideal, but I certainly understand if that doesn't work. If possible, can you let me know what your intentions are?

Simon has constructed the Google+ group to be very open. See below the link to the dashboard page:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116499058912779443737

Thanks,
Don

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

16 January 2014, 22:46

Hi Don,

I will still try to join the 7.30pm one. I can't make it to the 2pm unfortunately.

Best wishes,

Mike

17 January 2014, 3:17

Here is the link to the Hangout happening right now:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/stream/circles/p5c290f080da92120

17 January 2014, 4:18

We just finished the afternoon discussion...

For this evening, Simon Grant has promised to post the link to the Hangout on the group page, pasted again here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116499058912779443737

...but apparently you can also click on his name and find the link to the Hangout on his personal page.

I'll try to monitor this forum, but you can also try connecting to me on Skype..my skype name is dpresant

Shen Zhang's profile picture

05 February 2014, 9:36

Hi Mike,

This project is really a good extension. I've just visited your site: http://workflow.arts.ac.uk. The homepage looks great! Just wondering whether the design of the homepage was part of the project? We are really interested in knowing more about how the homepage was created.

Thanks,

Shen

Account deleted

06 February 2014, 9:30

Hi Everyone

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all after the Google hangout meetings I have been having trouble (my own fault) with accounts and ID etc.

Any way I said I would share two papers that are kind of related to the POrtfolio Commons project, and some ideas I am pursuing for futher development  and funding this year I hope.

1. is the notion of a portfolio service that is entirley under the control of a user througout their lifelong learning journey and is not inder the control of an institution - this kind of flips the current institutional model (in the UK at least) around and the issue ishow could an institutional offering work with the personal portfolio. I came up with this idea after talking to some colleagues, including from Africa. THis was a short paper delivered at the e-learning Africa conference in Zambia 2010 and is avilable at this link http://alto.arts.ac.uk/966/ and it called "e-Portfolios for Learning and Development: without constant internet or electrical grid access". At the moment the working title of this is the IMP (Independant Mobile Portfolio). THis is not really intended as a replacement to Mahara - more a complement.

2. The second paper is ideas about the need for a place to store stuff permanently in education and elsewhere. The paper was presented in Florence in 2012 to conference about multimedia archives in the arts. It looks broadly at the need for a different approach than that charactersied by the 'academic' repository scene - which is far too narrow in focus to serve these kinds of need. I the paper is called ONCE - OPen Networks for Culture and Education and available at this link http://alto.arts.ac.uk/943/.

Both these concepts have moved on quite a bit since these were written - the IMP is a HTML5 prototype that works nearly completely client side (and will be portable etc in the next version and store offline). The repository alternative is a protorype based on GiT and Solr and other stuff.

Realise this is all a bit out there... but any comments very welcome.

Shen - sorry if I have hijacked your post.

Best WIshes All

John

John Casey

Account deleted

06 February 2014, 22:22

Hi Shen,

Thanks for your feedback!

The front pages of workflow.arts.ac.uk aren't related to the Portfolio Commons project. I made some Mahara plugins to allow users to browse through pages they have access to, and to browse through profile pages. The front pages of workflow use those plugins to pull out public pages and public profile pages. Once you're logged in you have access to browse through all the pages shared with you.

This was intended to build the community aspect of the site, and to make it is easier to share exemplars of good work, within and across courses, and across colleges (we have 6 colleges).

It works well for us as an art and design institution, as I have been able to focus on image-based work, though in a previous iteration i also had extracts from text boxes.

I'm happy to share, though the plugins have a fair bit of institution-specific code to do with the filtering functions (college / course) - but if you are a developer or have developers in your team you could customise to fit your needs. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss it further.

Best wishes,

Mike

Shen Zhang's profile picture

10 February 2014, 22:09

Thank you Mike for you kind reply.

We have our Mahara server hosted in house. However, we have done very little in terms of customising the front page. Your home page is very impressive. Our School of Art and Design is very interested in looking at the possibilities. It would be great if we could install the plugin and try it out.

Kind regards,
Shen