Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Upgrade taking too long

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 December 2012, 9:34

We're upgrading from Mahara v1.4.0 to v1.6.2 (mysql5, relatively recent version of RedHat) and the upgrade process seems to be stalling on the mysql command below. We let it run for over four hours yesterday with no completion in sight -- is that normal? The mysqld process is chewing up 94-98% of the cpu the whole time. Thankfully it's on our test server at the moment.

mysql> show full processlist;

| Id | User    | Host      | db      | Command | Time | State        | Info   |
| 20 | tmahara | localhost | tmahara | Query   |  643 | Sending data | UPDATE "block_instance", "artefact"
                    SET "block_instance".configdata = CONCAT('a:1:{s:10:"artefactid";i:', CAST("artefact".id AS CHAR), ';}')
                    WHERE
                        "artefact".artefacttype = 'html'
                        AND "artefact".note IS NOT NULL
                        AND "block_instance".blocktype = 'textbox'
                        AND CAST("block_instance".id AS CHAR) = "artefact".note |

What's it doing, and is it broken or just taking a really *really* long time?

Hrynkiw
Kwantlen Polytechnic University

(edited to remove a bunch of spaces from the mysql query.)

Yaju Mahida's profile picture

21 December 2012, 11:15

This is a reported bug - Remove Explicit CAST from textbox to artefact upgrade queries

Apply this patch to fix the issue.

Account deleted

21 December 2012, 11:44

Yaju, I cannot express how grateful I am to you.

I've been fighting with this upgrade on and off for over a week now and have been extremely frustrated. My work day is almost over, but I'll certainly be trying your fix tomorrow and will report back my results.

Thank-you. You've earned much Good Karma today.

Hrynkiw
Kwantlen Polytechnic

Account deleted

22 December 2012, 9:29

I'm delighted to be able to report that after we applied the fix, we were able to successfully upgrade from Mahara v1.4.0 to v1.6.2.

Note that the patch offered in the bug report is for Mahara v1.5.2 (I believe). v1.6.2 contains an additional explicit CAST and so requires manual editing.

Thanks again to Yaju for his original work on the bug and for his quick reply to our posting yesterday.

Hrynkiw
Kwantlen Polytechnic

(Edited to add: For what it's worth, the entire upgrade took only about 20 minutes to run. About 12-13 minutes for the core upgrade, about 7 minutes for blocktype.externalfeed (possibly because our test server is not accessible off-campus), and moments for each of the other entries on the upgrade list.)

Account deleted

20 April 2013, 4:22

Further to this issue: We are unable to add text blocks. See this thread https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5370

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

21 April 2013, 14:29

Hi Donna,

do you have any error logs? I usually run tail -f on error.log in Debian and sometimes it tells me many things.

This is happening in all browsers, all themes?

Yaju Mahida's profile picture

23 April 2013, 12:23

We had the same issue after upgrade. We created an index on artefact_access_role  table, create index arteaccerole_roleart_ix on artefact_access_role (role,artefact);

Even after the above index it is slow but better than before as now it takes few seconds 20-30.

7 results