Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
git

03 December 2012, 23:53

Hello,

I have a problem with git. I'd like to have always the stable code. For example 1.6.2 STABLE. But when i "pull" I always have the testing version. Today 1.6.3testing.

I checked the branch with "git branch -a" and it gives me 1.6_STABLE.

So what is my problem?

Thank you for helping.

Philippe

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 December 2012, 13:39

Hi Phillipe,

If you pull 1.6_STABLE you will get the latest 1.6 code. If you want only what the release was, you should pull the 1.6.2_RELEASE tag:  git checkout 1.6.2_RELEASE

Thanks,
Melissa.

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

30 January 2013, 5:57

Melissa - thanks,

I've had the same issue of checkout getting the testing version on my test server when I wanted to mirror live site release version. Now I know how to tweak this it's no longer a problem. Wondering if this should be documented under git admin since it's not just developers who are using git to manage sites now.

Guess I expected STABLE to be the release version and would have thought TESTING would have been a better label for the test version.

Regards, Gordon.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 January 2013, 14:23

Hi Gordon,

If you could update the server admin wiki pages so that they make sense to you, that would be great.

A branch name describes what the task/product being worked on inside it is or will be. It is just a container. STABLE denotes that the contents are or will become a stable release.

A git tag is essentially a label that denotes a snapshot or milestone in the development process within a branch. The tags document the progress of the branch.

Thanks,
Melissa.

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

05 February 2013, 2:28

Hi Melissa,

I'll take a look at the wiki as soon as I have a chance - maybe later this week.

Performed the upgrade as you outlined, the _RELEASE suffix did exactly what I was looking for. Just a pity I've got to tweak the folder structure to have the contents of htdocs sitting as the 'Mahara' folder - but the extra step gives me a structure I'm happier with.

Thanks, Gordon.

5 results