Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Integration of Kaltura

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 August 2009, 18:36

Hi Peer,

Yes I agree. I think a reasonable approach would be to get a plugin working with the public Kaltura then look at hosting our own and connecting to that instead.

Ben

Account deleted

29 April 2010, 7:51

I want to upgrade the mahara with include the many other form but i want to understand the coding artitecture for the mahara how can i understand the structure for Mahara.

Account deleted

04 August 2009, 20:55

I have been doing research into Kaltura including standing up a Kaltura CE instance, looking at how it integrates with Drupal and generally figuring it out.

In my travels I have seen that Kaltura is a very capable system in some areas and not as capable in others. The current issue is the fact that a video uploaded to Kaltura CE is licensed as Creative Commons Share-Alike 3.0 and is made public. I have not seen any other license options or the ability to limit access to individual users or groups, which does not fit well with the Mahara model which allows you specify granular permissions for elements.

Many of you will be more familiar with how your users interact with Mahara and I am. I'd like to hear opinions on how we can integrate Kaltura. The ability to upload your video and display it is my main goal at present. The fact that anyone could search for your videos and include them on their own views needs to be taken into account.

Account deleted

05 August 2009, 2:44

Hi Ben,

sounds not that good.

Have you addressed this license issue in the Kaltura forum?

Thought that Kaltura itself has chosen the CC SA license only(!) for the content that is submitted to their own website. Maybe each self-hosting "KalturaCE provider" is free of chosing its own license(?).

BR, Peer

Account deleted

05 August 2009, 8:00

Hi Ben,

good news!!!

Meanwhile I made a corresponding posting within the Kaltura forum, with the following outcome ...

http://www.kaltura.org/digital-open-video-education-welcome-note

Citation: "Every provider is free to choose his own license for the submitted content and suit it for his own needs."

I think, the Drupal plugin is still referencing a license for the submitted content(!) (not KalturaCE itself) which was used in the time before the self-hosted KalturaCE plafform has been released and therefore all submitted content has to be hosted on the Kaltura servers underlying the CC SA license.

Regarding the license for KalturaCE itself  pls read the "kalturaCE_readme.txt" in the download package.

Citation: "The Community Edition is deployed on a single server and is available under the GNU Affero General Public License v3." 

So, everything is fine! :)

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

11 August 2009, 2:08

Hi Nigel,

did Ben get the info that there is no problem with the Kaltura license policy?

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

11 August 2009, 17:43

Peer,

Yes I did, sorry for not replying earlier, I have been pulled away from Mahara to other (less fun) project work.

I'll look again at the license, however that is only part of the issue, the second part being the default public access. Users of Mahara expect that their uploaded content will be access-controlled by Mahara, we will need to let them know that this is not the case if they use Kaltura.

Ben 

Account deleted

11 August 2009, 23:22

Hi - sorry for not replying - it seems I wasn't e-mailed about posts in this thread for a while Frown
Account deleted

13 August 2009, 3:18

Hi Ben, hi Nigel,

no problem!!! :)

I visit the Kaltura Wiki and found several hints that there are mechanisms implemented for controlling the content access and user management.

Here is a graph of the Kaltura system architecture ... http://corp.kaltura.com/wiki/index.php/Sdk_product_overview

Anyway, wouldn't it be possible to handle the access to the content within the self-hosted content like exteranl youtube content refferences. Each Kaltura content element should have a unique ID (like you youtube has). So while uploading content to Mahara, Mahara should just store the reference to this element and the corresponding Mahara user, i.e. the content owner. Access control should then work like usual ... I guess :)

Later on Kaltura playlists could be ordered according to different parameters like owner, date ... I have also seen this issue in the Kaltura Wiki.

Do you see this the same way as I do? :)

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

22 August 2009, 12:23

Hi Ben, any news here? :)