Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Integration of Kaltura

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 April 2009, 11:20

Hi, 

I am wondering if it is possible to integrate Kaltura? With Kaltura you would be able to upload movies and images directly from the community platform. Does the php package, which kaltura provides work with mahara.

Here is the link to the package: http://corp.kaltura.com/download

Many thanks for your support,

René 

Account deleted

11 April 2009, 20:12

Hi - I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to integrate the two, especially if the Kaltura PHP bundle is useful - do you know if it's licensed under the GPL?

(currently there is not such mahara/kaltura integration I'm aware of, btw)

A post by Account deleted was deleted

Account deleted

12 April 2009, 10:00

Hi Nigel

Many thanks for your reply. Kaltura is licensed under the

Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License 

Account deleted

13 April 2009, 17:54

hi René,

That CC license appears to be how all content (videos, etc) uploaded to the Kaltura platform has to be licensed (whch is fantastic for open content initiatives!)

What's needed now is for a plugin similar to the ones for Wordpress, Drupal and MediaWiki (from your previous link) to be developed for Mahara. Having previously (for some Moodle work) looked at the PHP reference implementation it wouldn't be a major task for a relatively competent PHP developer to develop a Mahara integration, and from what I can see, the plugin can be licensed however its developers intend. Of course access to the Kaltura platform comes with its own set of conditions... ;)

The sourceforge page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/kaltura/) suggests that all of those plugins are licensed under the GPL.

Account deleted

27 July 2009, 15:55

Hi Nigel,

in case this wouldn't be too hard to integrate, you / Catalyst will get up to USD 3,000 + 1,500 for this integration plugin from Kaltura, visit ...

http://www.kaltura.org/frenzy-challenge-2

This would be really great if this would be available. 

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

27 July 2009, 18:59

I have talked to the governance, and we're going to have a go at doing it Smile.

Ben Bradshaw is going to work on this - he'll let everyone know how he's getting on over time.

Account deleted

27 July 2009, 19:07

Looks like this is going to be my first big piece of development work for Mahara (up to this point it's been bug fixes and minor features). I'll try to keep everyone updated as I progress with this. Once I get something worth sharing I'll put it somewhere public for people to try.
Account deleted

28 July 2009, 2:13

Great!!!
That is really good news in the morning :)

Account deleted

29 July 2009, 7:51

Hi Ben,

regarding the Kaltura integration, I think, it's worth to mention that the integration should (also) support the self(!) hosted KalturaCE. What do you think? 

BR, Peer 

22 results