Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Embed.ly plugin - inconsistent display of media

Don Presant's profile picture

12 October 2012, 6:44

Has anyone else noticed this?

Embed.ly blocks in our 1.5 system do not display the embedded content on an unpredictable basis, ie sometimes they work and sometimes not.

I've noticed this over the last 3-4 weeks. It may be related to the time of day (late afternoon in North America - busy times?).

I don't know enough about how embed.ly works in general, or what API decisions were made in producing the plugin, or whether something has recently changed....can you help, Gregor?

Someone who is helping troubleshoot the problem here has said this:

What I was seeing in the page source seemed to change on reloads. Normally a page has the same source code every time and the browser or script will make decisions how to interpret the source code and display the page. In this case I am seeing no URL to the video most of the time in the source code.

Embed.ly is an awesome tool when it works. I've been all over it over the last year. But if I can't depend on it working, then I can't recommend it for my users who may need it in high stakes situations, such as job applications.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or does anyone have any ideas?

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

12 October 2012, 13:40

I can't think of any reason other that the Embed.ly servers (which serve embed code) are overloaded. I have already contacted Embed.ly support/developers to see if there were any recent API changes or they confirm that their servers are overloaded.

Waiting for the answer...

Gregor

Don Presant's profile picture

13 October 2012, 6:37

Thanks Gregor:

The only other thing I can think of is that I've gotten people to get their own embed.ly key, rather than using a sitewide one. Not sure if this is significant, since it still doesn't explain why it happens only sometimes.

3 results