Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Installer Question

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 April 2009, 22:46

I have been attempting to install Mahara all day (to know avail).  Here are my questions:

Where exactly is the Mahara installer located?  Everything checks out in the test folder, but I am almost certain that this is not where the "official" install occurs.

I have my config.php set correctly, but when I attempt to run mahara installer, I only receive a blank screen.  (This is assuming that the installer will run when I go to the URL  with my host name/mahara.)

I really want to press on with this.  I've installed Moodle.  (I've also installed Drupal, and I will use that for my portfolio integration with Moodle if I am unable to get Mahara working.)  I feel like I'm so close.

Yahoo is my host provider, and this may have to do with some of my difficulties, but I'm not sure what else to change.  The following is my config data:

$cfg = new StdClass;

// database connection details
// valid values for dbtype are 'postgres8' and 'mysql5'
$cfg->dbtype   = 'mysql';
$cfg->dbhost   = 'mysql';
$cfg->dbport   = '3306';
$cfg->dbname   = 'maharadata';
$cfg->dbuser   = 'pcames';
$cfg->dbpass   = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx';

$cfg->dbprefix = '';

//$cfg->wwwroot = 'http://www.pcames.com/mahara/';

$cfg->dataroot = '/pcames/maharadata';
$cfg->directorypermissions = 0777

?>

I have now attempted 32 different combinations of this information on the config file, and I can't seem to get to the install screen.  Any suggestions?

I appreciate the time and assistance anyone may be willing to offer.

Account deleted

06 April 2009, 1:22

hi Patrick,

Following the link in your  config file(http://www.pcames.com/mahara/) it looks like your webserver is not pointing to the right location.

At the moment, it's looking at the mahara folder... but it needs to be looking one folder deeper - to the /htdocs folder. The /htdocs folder is the site root. Know what I mean?

Assuming that your files are at /home/someuser/mahara ... you could symlink lik e so:

ln -s /home/someuser/mahara/htdocs /var/www/mahara

... or set your Apache config to do something similar. The example at http://wiki.mahara.org/System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Installing_Mahara shows how to do this.

NB. the blank page is usually an indication that PHP is spitting an error - try checking out your Apache logs (something like /var/log/apache2/error.log) to find out what's going on.

Let us know how you get on.

Myles

Account deleted

07 April 2009, 12:16

Myles,

Thanks for the quick response.  Your post set me in a new and very good direction, but I haven't been able to get to the install screen.  Conceptually, I think I understand the problem, but I do not possess one iota of programming skill.  I've been reading as much as I can online as well as studying the config files of my Moodle.  I just cannot seem to get to the install page.  It keeps appearing white.  My database is set up as well as the folders on my host provider.  I did notice that there is no dirroot in the Mahara config file, but experimenting with that command hasn't helped me get to the install page either.  I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is maybe with Yahoo.  I'm not able to access the backend of the serve, so I'm unable to make the virtual host changes although my reading seemed to show that to be the most promising.  I really have no clue where to go from here and am a bit disappointed because I am extremely stoked about the educational value this program will bring to my classroom when integrated with Moodle.  If you have any other ideas, I am all ears.  Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Patrick

3 results