Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mail Notification Issue

Chris Kenniburg's profile picture

05 June 2012, 9:58

I have a weird issue.  I incorrectly setup SMTP for our Mahara site and it generated 2.85G (With a G) of data in the Database table "Notification_Internal_Activity" due to some error messages that went haywire.  To correct this I dropped that table and all the data and then recreated the table using MySql.

And now I am wondering if I have screwed things up because when you first login to mahara it should show you that you have messages waiting that are unread.  However this is not happnening. 

Here is a photo of where I am not seeing the notifications.

05 June 2012, 12:24

Here is what happens when someone sends a message to another person - The mail alert icon at the top right of the page displays a  " -1 " message alert as seen below.  Any ideas as to what is triggering this and how to fix it if possible?  I am not sure this can be fixed given I had to blow out the original table because of a weird email issue where it ballooned my database to almost 2.85 gigs of notifications.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

13 June 2012, 22:14

Hi Chris,

I've submitted a fix for the error messages that went haywire, the bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1009301 will be updated when it's done.

Deleting all the rows from notification_internal_activity would have been a better idea than dropping the table and recreating it, but now that it's dropped, you should

(1) Check that you have the correct foreign key constraints on the table (just compare it with the table from a fresh install); and

(2) Check that the triggers on that table exist.  You can see them with the following command on a fresh install:

SELECT * FROM information_schema.triggers WHERE event_object_table = 'notification_internal_activity';

The commands to create them can be found in the file htdocs/notification/internal/db/upgrade.php.  You could try to trick Mahara into running that upgrade by changing the version number of the internal notification plugin:

UPDATE notification_installed SET version = version - 1 WHERE name = 'internal';

and then going to /admin to run the upgrade.

14 June 2012, 7:23

THANK YOU. THANK YOU!!!

I used the method described below to trick mahara into running the upgrade.  It worked as described.  Now the email notifications appear properly for the user.  

This made my day.  

Thanks Again.

Chris

4 results