Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Trigger issues in 1.5.1 upgrade

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 May 2012, 16:09

Hi.  I'm trying to upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.5.1 and received a complaint about the trigger privilege.  I followed the instructions and granted trigger successfully.  However, I kept getting the same message:

"Mahara requires permission to create database triggers, but is unable to do so. Please ensure that the trigger privilege has been granted to the appropriate user in your MySQL installation. For instructions on how to do this, see https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator's_Guide/Granting_Trigger_Privilege"

I would appreciate your help.  Thanks in advance.

I'm using openSUSE 12.1, mysql 5.5.23, php 5.3.8

Account deleted

21 May 2012, 18:03

Just in case it is the same issue I had does your database have any non alpha numeric characters in? I had a database called mahara-test and another called mahara-live and whilst most things worked fine pre the attempted upgrade to 1.5(.1), going through the process generated the same error that you listed. Like you I was running a version on MySQL that supported triggers (in my case 5.1) and an up to date php.

I fixed the issue by creating new databases called maharatest and maharalive and importing the contents of my original databases. Finally I sorted out the accounts to allow access and it all started working and amended the config to point at the new database.

Any use?

Cameron,
xxx. 

Account deleted

21 May 2012, 18:36

Thanks, Cameron, for your quick response.  I just use a simple name for my mahara database, something like okmahara, without any special characters.  I've upgraded it through several versions over the years without any problems.  When upgrading from 1.4.1 to 1.5.1, I just copied the file config.php from the old mahara folder to the new folder.

May I ask what you meant by 'sorted out the accounts to allow access'?  Thanks.

Account deleted

22 May 2012, 2:18

Just that the original databases had user accounts which were all set up correctly for mahara-test and mahara-live but not for maharatest and maharalive. So I gave the existing accounts access to the newly created databases as well as the older ones so I could see if it worked on 1.5 without compromising my working 1.4.

Cameron,
xxx. 

Account deleted

22 May 2012, 23:30

Nothing seemed to work for me.  I finally found your advice at another post and gave the database user Global privileges with the following Grant syntax:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'someuser'@'localhost';

Then I was able to upgrade to 1.5.1. And as you said, I adjusted the privileges to the usual
settings after the upgrade. This must be an issue with 1.5.1 but at least I was able to work
around it for now. Thanks, Camaron, for the advice.
5 results