Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Apache Config. and Bluehost and Mahara

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 May 2012, 17:43

Hello,

I've moved to a dedicated IP on Bluehost and once again am trying to install Mahara 1.5.1  All seems okay but I did not change/add to Apache config. as suggested in the installation instructions. I'm not sure exactly how to do what is being directed, nor do I know if it is necessary. So I am looking for some help here Wink

It appears I can make changes to my Apache (2.2). This is what I see on Bluehost:

This is what I see on Bluehost:

Apache Handlers

Apache handlers control how the Apache web server software manages certain file types and extensions for your site. Apache comes configured to handle CGI scripts and server-parsed files. You can configure Apache to handle a new file type with an existing handler by manually adding the handler and extension below. For example, to have the server treat files with the extension .example as CGI files, you would type "cgi-script" under Handler and ".example" under Extension(s)..

Create an Apache Handler

Handler:
Extension(s):
  Tip: separate multiple extension types with a space

Apache Handlers

User Defined Apache Handlers
Handler Extension(s) Remove
application/x-httpd-php53s .php

System Apache Handlers
Handler Extension(s)
cgi-script .cgi .pl .plx .ppl .perl
server-parsed .shtml

Here are the directions from Mahara:

Apache Configuration

Note: If you're on shared hosting, you probably are not able to change this, so you can ignore this section.

The simplest of Apache VirtualHost configurations will be sufficient:

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName example.org
         DocumentRoot /path/to/mahara/htdocs

ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/mahara.error.log
         CustomLog /var/log/apache2/mahara.access.log combined

<Directory /home/nigel/mahara/htdocs>
                 AllowOverride All
         </Directory>
    </VirtualHost

Please note that your apache configuration should contain no ServerAliases. Mahara expects to be accessed through ONE URL. This gives certainty that cookies are set for the right domain, and also means that SSL certificates for the networking functionality can be generated for this one URL. If you use a server alias, you should expect to see problems like having to log in twice, and potentially SSO between your site and others breaking.

I have no idea as I am an ignorant and a novice, what I should, if anything, be doing here. Embarassed

I am attempting to create a Mahoodle (integrate Mahara and Moodle) Is there anyone who could or would impart some advice and/or enlightenment?

Thank you so much!

Valerie

Account deleted

22 May 2012, 23:57

Hi Valerie,

I don't know how bluehost's control panel works, so I'm guessing as much as you here :) You will need to ask bluehost how their panel works.

When they tell you how to check the contents of your apache configuration, make sure that:

ServerName example.org

Is *exactly* your domain name (so, "ServerName valeries-cool-domain.com"), and the

DocumentRoot /path/to/mahara/htdocs

and

<Directory /path/to/mahara/htdocs>

Lines have the exact *full* path to the htdocs directory (bluehost will need to tell you what this is if you can't see it anywhere in their control panel already)

It shouldn't need other changes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Melissa

Account deleted

23 May 2012, 9:54

Hi Melissa,

Thank you very much for responding. Informationally, Bluehost uses C-Panel. Have a great day.

Valerie

3 results