Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
how to change email address [email protected]

28 May 2012, 15:51

To setup the cron job you need to connect to your server (physically or via SSH) and then change the user to a super user with the "su" command or "sudo -s" command and the type your root password. Then you invoke the cron editor by entering "crontab -e" on the command line.

If your server is hosted and you have no access to the host OS, you should read your providers' hosting documentation about cron. The way to setup a cron vary from one provider to another. If you provider is using cpanel, you will find on the admin console a help section that explains how to set up cron under cpanel.

So the first question is : where your Mahara server is hosted?

Cheers,

-dajan

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 May 2012, 21:05

i install mahara on windows using wampserver, do you know how to do that on windows?

29 May 2012, 0:24

Ok,

I don't work on windows (any more). But browsing the web I have found a page that can help you

http://www.pankajdangi.com/2009/05/crontab-cronjob-on-windows-xampp-wamp/

By the way, reading the forums on Moodle and Mahara you will notice there are drawbacks and issues runing those system on windows with wamps.

My recommendantion would be to install a virtual software, such as virtualbox, and install a unix os, such as ubuntu, mandriva (or whatever). Then you would be in the position to follow the instructions from the user manual and also would be able to be helped by a wider community of users.

Regards,

-dajan

Account deleted

30 May 2012, 3:07

thanks dajan, i will try your solution, btw for production server can i use virtual server for production/live system under linux?does the performance affected because i'm using virtual?. Thx

30 May 2012, 12:26

We are runnign Parallels server on a xServe with four virtual machines for our web servers (Mahara, Moodle, and two others) and it is working fine.

Everything depends on the config and the hardware power you have on your machine.

Cheers,

-dajan

Account deleted

31 May 2012, 0:43

thanks dajan for the info

16 results