Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Roaming from Mahara to Moodle 2

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 April 2012, 8:23

I certainly wish we had the same sort of encouragement/support you folks in New Zealand do.  Wow. I just love it.  Really.

I will definately read this over, but I really like them being able to log into Moodle and just wander over to Mahara (as it's set for now). The way I see it, it's a minor inconvenience and keeps some of my more paranoid administrators calm.  Cool 

Thank you very, very much. 

Account deleted

26 April 2012, 6:26

Hi folks,

actually I really have the same issue like Dixie has, also setup the roaming the same way and enabled the portfolio functionallity.

Seems like there is really no way to enable two way roaming having a link at the sidebar just to travel to the other system, if I got u right?

At least Moodle has the possibility to enable roam in and roam out at the same time, but while enabling roam in it disables the functionallity to transfer submissions from Moodle to Mahara. :-(

Will also read your docs, maybe it could help me out.

Cheers,

Bjoern

Account deleted

26 April 2012, 8:30

As I understand this, no, you can't just have it roam with a link.  Now, when they come in through Moodle (which is where they come from on mine), it does "leave a note" in the profile block that you (the roamer) are whomever you are from Moodle 2.  At which point, they can just click on that link and it will take them back to Moodle and they will still be logged in.

We're running two Moodles right now - a 1.9 version and a version 2 - in a transistion phase from 1.9 to 2 and both sites can roam to Mahara.  If the student logs in by going through Moodle 1, it creates an account the first time, and if they log in via Moodle 2, it creates an account the first time.  In simple terms it means that the student has two accounts in Mahara.  If push comes to shove and they just have to have their accounts "joined" I thought I'd just give them a quick lesson in import/export.  No one has asked so far though so I'm hoping I'll get out of it  <G>

26 April 2012, 17:42

Hello Dixie,

The problem to roam from multiple instances of Moodle on one instance of Mahara has bee raised by some users in the past two weeks. You will find posts about this on forums, I am sure.

I also recommend you read point 8.7.3 of the user manual (http://manual.mahara.org/fr/1.5_STABLE/site_admin/experimental.html#usersuniquebyusername-variable) about the config.php's command "usersuniquebyusername", which can help you to avoid having a duplication of account in your situation.

Regards,

-dajan

Account deleted

27 April 2012, 11:09

At least for me the "usersuniquebyusername" configuration didn't work out. :-(

Account deleted

27 April 2012, 12:50

If it works for me, I think it'll be the coolest thing since sliced bread.  However, I can't try it out until after May 10.  We're finishing up a semester right now so I have to be a little conservative about what I do.

Bjoern - what happened when you tried it?  Did it break anything or just inform you that it wasn't going to do what you wanted?

Account deleted

20 June 2012, 5:19

Hi! I'm performancing a new moodle-mahara integration. Students must log in into moodle to access to Mahara later by SSO (access to moodle is by CAS), but my boss asked me if students can log in into mahara directly with the same credential to use mahara like Facebook.I'm reading your post and I understand that it's posible to do that installing the cas plugin in mahara, but if I do that, students can't use moodle artefacts in Mahara. Is always that way? I understand that if i log in into mahara by SSO, i can use moodle artefacts, but if i log in by mahara interface, I can't. It's that correct?

Account deleted

20 June 2012, 17:40

Francisco, I haven't used the CAS plugin, but I think it might work like LDAP.

When you set up an LDAP authentication instance, and make it the "Parent authority" of an existing XMLRPC (Moodle SSO) authentication instance, then users can log in at the Mahara login form (using LDAP), and they can also log in to Moodle and SSO straight to Mahara without needing to enter password.

But if they log in directly to Mahara using LDAP, they cannot subsequently jump straight to Moodle from Mahara.

Also, when you first set up a parent authority in this way, you also need to change the authentication method of any existing SSO users to the parent authority, otherwise they will have a second account created for them when they try to log in via the Mahara login form.

Account deleted

25 June 2012, 4:09

Thanks Richard

That's the way i want Mahara to work. I'm just start to try CAS plugin right now, but I can't make it work yet. I don't know well if this plugin works like ldap (introducing login or password in mahara's fields) or this plugin will redirect me to my CAS page, like others applications do. I must try,Thank you a lot

25 June 2012, 6:00

hello Francisco,

The plugin CAS is derivated from the LDAP plugin for Mahara. It has been developped by Patrick Pollet (https://mahara.org/user/view.php?id=24539).

If you have any problem with the CAS you may contact him. I helped University of Troyes to install it and it is now working with success.

Wish you all the best for your experiments.

Regards,

-dajan