Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Some doubts about translation

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 5

26 March 2012, 8:34 AM

Hi all, I'm a brazilian student and I want to put Mahara to work in my school. I intend to create an student and teachers network.

So, I'm having some problems with the translations packs.

I've downloaded of all pt_BR.utf8 that exist in the link, I've put all of them in the data folder (root/maharadata/langpacks), and into the "lang" folder inside the system. It was unsuccessfully.

Now me, some students and teachears we have started a new translation project. But we are having some problems with accentuation.

In brazilian portuguese we have many accent marks and in different kinds. I know that tha meta tag charset=ISO-8859-1 could solve that problem but I don't know where I have to set it up. Is that why I need yours help.

Since now,

Thank all.

26 March 2012, 9:56 AM



Try to remove all the files you have put into the lang folders in the system and keep ONLY the pt_BR.utf8 files in the mahradata/langpacks/ folder.

Change the rights and ownership on this folder

chmod -R 755 langpacks

chown www-data:www-data langpacks

It should work better.

For the coding, normally UTF-8 supports all latin "accentuations". Do you really need caracters not found in the UTF-8 table?


anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 5

26 March 2012, 3:31 PM

Thanks for your answer Dominique but....

See what happened when I've done what you suggested, the menu to select the language, in the first page (to login) has disappeared .

And when I put the folder pt_BR.utf8 into the "lang" folder, inside the system, it appears.

This is my folders tree: outside the "public_html" folder I have the "maharadata". Inside the "public_html" folder I have the "lang" folder, and the system works fine when the pt_BR.utf8 folder is inside the "public_html/rede/lang".

Obs: "rede" is one folder where I put the Mahara.

May be some thing wrong with my folder structure?

I´m waiting the help.

Since now, thanks all.

26 March 2012, 4:45 PM

Hello again,

My structure is the following :

My maharadata with the lang pakages are here :


The Mahara php files are here :


I don't have any other lang folders outside those folders (e.g., I don't have a lang folder inside my /var/www folder).

By the way which version of Mahara are you using because there is a big change between version 1.2 and 1.3 and beyond.


anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 5

26 March 2012, 5:52 PM

Hi Dominique, I've solved my problem changing all charset=UTF8 to charset=iso-8859-1.

That way, all my problems with accents were solved.

About my version, is the last one and my folder structure was the same as yours, with tiny changes, course.

Thanks alot of all tips.

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 5

28 March 2012, 8:32 AM

Hi again, I thought I had solved my problem changin CHARSET='UTF-8' to 'iso-8859-1', but was not what happened.

In truth all things that I had translated in language pack was correct but everything that comes from data base appears wrong, with symbols in place of accentuated letters.

Ie.: Inside the "account.php" file I have many words "users" to translate to "usuários". Well, If I put charset UTF-8 it will appear like #, and everything that comes from the data base will be correct, but if I put charset=iso-8859-1, the words, that contains accentuation in to the "account.php" file will be displayed correct and the strange characters will be come from the data base.

This is my problem. Between the cross and the sword. I continuos needing help.

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 48

28 March 2012, 12:31 PM

Hi Angelo:

What text editor are you using for the translation? Please check your editor is UTF-8 compilant. Such editors are for instance, for Linux Kate or Kwrite, and for Windows Notepad++. Make sure the text editor is configured for UTF-8 when you do the translation (not when you read from your browser).

I had a similar problem with an Spanish translation which uses a lot of accentuation marks too.

Hope that helps, Roberto.

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 5

28 March 2012, 2:01 PM

Hi Roberto, I'm using Dreamweaver to translate. I don't think that could be because that.

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 48

28 March 2012, 8:27 PM

Hi Angelo:

If I am not wrong, the default encoding of Dreamweaver is iso-8859-1, if you haven't changed manually to UTF-8.

However the solution that Richard has given is definitely the way to go.

Regards, Roberto.

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 808

28 March 2012, 3:46 PM

Hi Angelo,

The master version of the pt_BR translation is maintained in launchpad, so if you wanted to help improve the existing translation, it would be easier if you translated on the launchpad site.  See - it would also solve all your issues with character encoding.  The language packs from are automatically regenerated from the launchpad version every day or so.

Anyone with a launchpad account can make new suggestions for the translation, but to make changes, you would need to join the Launchpad Brazilian Translators group at

You might also be able to save a bit of time if you start with the Portuguese (Portugal) translation by Emanuel Garces, which is currently much more complete, but I have no idea how similar they are.  See and


10 results