Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Flowplayer not playing in IE

Wullie's profile picture

19 January 2012, 9:29

Hi,

It's come to my attention from some of my students that the video player does not play their videos.

It turns out that the video don't appear to work as .flv files in Internet Explorer (although they do in Firefox and Chrome).

Unfortunately, our college has IE as it's main browser, so this could lead to a lot of issues for me (especially as I am trailling Mahara at the moment in the college and would prefer things to work for the students).

Anyone come across this issue before? If so (or not), any suggestions (and using a better browser isn't a suggestion)?

Thanks in advance

Wullie's profile picture

19 January 2012, 9:34

Looks like it may be a version of IE issue. In IE8, it doesn't work, but does if I click on the compatability icon.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

19 January 2012, 18:29

What exactly happens when they try to play the video? Blank box? loading icon? nothing at all?

Looks like Flowplayer had issues with IE8 a few years ago, but this shouldn't be an issue now..? What version of Mahara have you got running?

Wullie's profile picture

20 January 2012, 3:23

Thomas,

Nothing happens, just a blank space where the video should be.

I am running Mahara 1.4.0.

Any other ideas? Other than Microsoft products just being Microsoft products?

Ruslan Kabalin's profile picture

20 January 2012, 4:54

One potential problem of having "blank box" (I assume you do not have any player controls, just the black box) could be mod_deflate settings on apache server that compresses both flash (swf) and media (flv or whatever). Some browsers can handle decompressing of this types properly, some others can't.

Just make sure it is not the case if mod_deflate is enabled, it only excludes images from compression by default. Ideally you need to compress text based content (html, xml, text) only, as media files are usually compressed anyway.

See comments here. This page also can be useful.

And don't forgert to clear browser cache after making any changes on the server ;-)

5 results