Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Strange css? problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 March 2009, 8:33

Hi

A strange problem has been brought to my attention.  We are running Mahara 1.0.4 with around 900 users.  One student's blog does not word wrap, as it were, and the text he has typed remains on 1 line, making the page very wide indeed.  When the blog is pulled into a view, the same thing happens.  This appears to be happening with just the one student but there may be others, and it doesn't seem to matter which college machine he logs on to, it's the same.  It's only the second page of his blog, too, the first page is fine.

I looked at the HTML in his posts but nothing unusual there.  Unfortunately I couldn't see the page source as the permissions on the student machines don't allow this. I've pasted some screenshots into a doc but how can I let you see this - can't attach can I?

Hope this is comprehensible

Regards

Karen

Account deleted

23 March 2009, 8:47

Hi Karen,

It doesn't look liek we have the permissions under the "File" section of this group to add folders/files.  I already had started a "file" place to put screen grabs under the group Mahara Themes.  You can go right to it after joining at  http://mahara.org/artefact/file/groupfiles.php?group=40

You can then cross link back to this forum.  Or post other theme related stuff there...

Just completed some template and CSS work on my site, so this is a bit fresh for me.  Some questions that come to mind right away:

1. Is it possible to get a link to the problem page, that way we could look at it with firebug and some other similar tools?

2. What browser is it showing up like that in?  Have you tried to look at it in Firefox, IE7, and even Chrome or Safari?  CSS often plays differently (unfortunatelly), especially in IE. 

3. Have you done any major CSS or template changes in that part of the site or is this pretty much a stock Mahara default theme?

4. I looked through the bug tracker and see a few blog related issues, but nothing specific about non-wrapping.  There are some about image problems. Was teh student inserting pictures in this post or anything like that?

I will be glad to check back and try to help today. I am in Florida, so just starting my day here.

Jamie

Account deleted

23 March 2009, 11:05

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply - it was really annoying me but I've solved the problem. Looked at it with Firebug first but that didn't flag anything.  I had checked the HTML of one of his posts when I was called up to see it and it was ok but I just thought I would have another look and found it - said student had pressed the space bar hundreds of times I think.  Accidental or not I don't know, but this was obviously the cause as it's ok now - not sure why that would happen.  Tested it in both Firefox and IE. 

I'll join the group anyway though - good idea

Kind regards

Karen

Account deleted

23 March 2009, 11:33

Congratulations on finding the problem. It sure demonstrates how difficult it is to build  user proof systems Tongue out...

Peace,

Jamie

4 results