Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Cron Not Working? Try this!

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 October 2011, 5:37

Hi EAF,

What I'm saying is that a users browser has a limit on the number of connections it can make to a single server. It won't affect every user, but you might find that if a user is using the same server for multiple things (e.g. moodle, mahara, website, etc) and you've employed this trick  in several places, or they logging in and out a lot, they may (remotely possibly) hit a bottleneck.

Most users won't hit this as the Mahara cron employs a locking mechanism to ensure that each task is only processed once.

It would be much better to actually use standard cron processing as detailed in the wiki (https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator's_Guide/Cron_Job).

Andrew

Account deleted

12 October 2011, 12:02

Hi @Nicols,

"It would be much better to actually use standard cron processing as detailed in the wiki (https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator's_Guide/Cron_Job)."

The processes established within the guide doesn't work for everyone, meaning all servers. There's 102 different releases of APACHE server. Since the < calls > and CRON.php is written in a non-native APACHE language < PHP > instead of < PERL / CGI >, the guide is therefore improperly referenced. Using the "invisible" pixel is a work-around, while it can be anticipated that CRON.php will not be rewritten!

The code as written doesn't work on our provider's APACHE because CRON will not accept an "appended output." Before determining if the suggested code will work, it already has to be altered before usage.

With all due respect, it would not be fair to merely suggest to another end-user to use what doesn't work!

I don't see anyone providing documentation on all versions of APACHE to get the CRON.php to work! It's always important to not re-invent the wheel when choosing a platform language! The documentation could also suggest more information on APACHE by including references within Mahara.org. I disagree with an organization not using their own product to present information (referencing the use of another platform (wiki) to present information in regards to the Mahara platform.) You wouldn't see Microsoft, Tikiwiki, Oracle using a platform other than their own; Just not good taste!

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

13 October 2011, 3:11

Hi EAF

I don't mean to be too fussy, but your assertion:  "Since the < calls > and CRON.php is written in a non-native APACHE language < PHP > instead of < PERL / CGI >, the guide is therefore improperly referenced." is a bit strange Smile

Mahara is written in PHP. You can't run/use it unless your Apache server (or whatever web server you want to use) is able to run PHP pages. So I highly doubt that you are going to run Mahara's cron job if your web server is not able to serve Mahara pages at all WinkLaughing

Saludos.
Iñaki.

Account deleted

13 October 2011, 13:31

Hi Arenaza,

I believe you may be incorrectly interpreting the conversation. No matter, it's all rhetorical semantics.

TY

Account deleted

11 October 2011, 12:46

Hi @Newman; @Marier,

Newman, the process you suggested didn't work. The latest version shows nothing, but RAW HTML it was to work by just copying the tinymce directory. In fact, in doing so the tinyMCE plugin is not called!

I have to agree with Marier, although the documentation ../tinymce/README.mahara didn't say much at all, but something else is missing.

Upgrades like these should be offered directly from the Mahara.org site rather than bouncing around looking to patch the upgrade. I was looking for a MANIFEST in the < tinymce_3.4.6.zip > and didn't find one!

Certainly something is not right!

Here's the tinyMCE Advanced and Advanced Code < http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php >

TY

15 results