Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Public vs. Secret URLs access?

sean mcclelland's profile picture

30 August 2011, 16:16

Please help me understand.... what is the difference between adding "public" rights in the Edit Access window versus creating a Secret URL for a Page?

I can send non-Portfolio users a Secret URL or simply the Page's standard URL (if I made the page public as mentioned above)... so I don't see a difference in that scenario.

Does setting the Page to public make it available to search engines, and/or can other Portfolio users somehow find that Page on their own?

Thank you for the help!

(I found this during my search, but it didn't answer my question: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/User_Guide/2_My_Portfolio/1_My_Views/Providing_a_Link_to_a_View)

30 August 2011, 17:00

I see that the "My Pages" block, IF visible on someone's profile, can provide others access to the Pages they've made "public."

How else does the public setting affect Pages?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 August 2011, 18:06

Sean, yes, the secret URL is just harder to guess, easy to revoke, and Mahara doesn't generate any links to it.  Of course, if someone deliberately posts the link somewhere, it's no longer secret.

Public pages aren't exactly well-advertised at the moment, but they can be linked from My Pages and other places within Mahara such as the "Latest pages" block.

31 August 2011, 11:36

That makes sense, thank you for the information!

4 results