Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Mahoodle views/pages

Wullie's profile picture

25 August 2011, 3:06

Hi,

Not sure if this has been noted by anyone or not yet, but since the upgrade to Mahara 1.4, views are now called pages.

However, in the Moodle/Mahara plugin, these are still called views, which could be confusing for some students.

Thanks

26 August 2011, 5:57

Hello,

You are right. But the Mahara/Moodle plugin is not developped by the Mahara team, it is third party development.

But you can change the srings from View to Page (or maybe View/Page to keep 1.3 and 1.4 compatibility) directly from the files in the en.uf8 folder in your Mahara/Moodle plugin's folder.

HTH

If you need more help don't hesitate to come back and you will find eventually someone who could do it for you if needed.

-dajan

Wullie's profile picture

29 August 2011, 10:00

Dajan,

That makes obvious sense and not sure why I didn't think of it myself (I've done it now).

I have another (few) question(s) with the plugin though.

Is it correct that the student can only submit a page/view as an assignment?

Would it not make more sense to allow a collection to be submitted and assessed rather than submitting each page individually?

Is there a specific reason for this (either technically or pedagogically) why you wouldn't want this to be transferred as one)?

Any feedback, as always, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wullie's profile picture

30 August 2011, 10:08

Having had of a bit of a dig around, it appears that collections do appear in the list and can be submitted, but rather than displaying that it is a collection, it appears within the rest of the pages for submission.

A further dig around shows that the link for the collections page is the same as that of the first page within the collection.

What this means (as far as I can tell), is that you can't use pages within collections as individiual pages for submission (e.g.)

• I have a page solely for my CV (strangely called CV with a pageid of 128)
  • I have a collection which has my CV as the first page (collection called My collection and has a collection ID of 2 - I know this because it is the ID in the URl when editing the collection)
  • When in Moodle, the link is to view/viewid=128, which pulls up the collection of pages.

What happens then if I just wanted to submit the CV page to Moodle?

Which brings me to my main question now. Is there a specific reason that the URL of the collection is the first page within it, rather than the collection itself?

I can see a workaround for this (I'll get students to create a blank/intro page with the same name as the collection page), but am just curious why it has been setup this way.

Thanks

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 August 2011, 17:48

No good reason I'm afraid Wullie: collections don't really have a url of their own.  We'd like to be able to add support for submission of collections eventually, and there are a couple of open bugs related to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/786389

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/789358

We really should have disabled submission of views within a collection (and moving submitted views in and out of collections) until we had time to add support for collection submission.

Account deleted

17 November 2011, 17:51

Hi Richard,

Is there any change in Mahara 1.4 to allow for collection submission as well as view submission, please?

Thank you,

Fiona

Account deleted

17 November 2011, 18:38

Hi Fiona,

Unfortunately it's not in 1.4, and not in the current plan for 1.5 either - probably a year or more away.

R.

Gideon Williams's profile picture

17 November 2011, 18:47

Gosh that's a real shame! Our issue is one of aesthetics and we were wondering if it is at all possible to alter the layout of the Outcomes page that appears eg two colums or changing the title?

Account deleted

17 November 2011, 19:01

Thanks for the quick response, Richard. It would be nice if it were there if we were going enterprise in 2013, but we'll have to work with what we've got.

Thank you,

Fiona

18 November 2011, 9:13

This is already in the whishlist (https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/786389), but you can add your name to it (This bug affects me...).

Cheers,

-dajan

12 results