Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
Swedish translation

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 March 2009, 7:37

Hi,

I would be happy to contribute to the Swedish translation. Where should I start orienting myself about and get acquainted to the translation process and tools? I would be more than happy for guiding advice.

Also if there are other Mahara Swedes who would like to join in the translation efforts, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Jonas

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

15 March 2009, 7:50

Hi Jonas,

great idea to start a Swedish langpack Cool

Please request membership in the new created translators group:

http://mahara.org/group/view.php?id=58

David (http://mahara.org/user/view.php?id=232)has created a tool to assist the translation process.You will findhis sorcecode in the mahara git (http://git.mahara.org/?p=contrib/adminlang.git;a=summary)

Feel free to ask Nigel to create a new branch for handling the Swedish langpack in the GIT repository.

HTH Heinz

PS: this was posting Nr 100 Tongue out

Account deleted

15 March 2009, 17:35

Hi Jonas - great to hear! Koen wants to contribute a Dutch translation too, so I will be making sure that there's good documentation on the wiki about the process of becoming a translator and doing translations.

Will you be OK with using git to store your translation on git.mahara.org, like the other translators? Git is a version control system, like CVS. I'll try to make sure there's good documentation on the wiki for it, and we can help you out with any questions you have, but if it's not possible then you can just send us versions of the translation as you do them.

Account deleted

16 March 2009, 16:05

Hi,

I would have liked to say yes on using Git. As I am not yet familiar with the program I would be most comfortable with focusing on translation, if that could be a way for you too?

Kind regards,

Jonas

Account deleted

16 March 2009, 18:03

Hi, yes that is fine - in that case, all you need to do is send me a zipfile/tarball of your translation from time to time. Just let me know what branch of Mahara the translation is for, and I'll do the rest.
Account deleted

17 March 2009, 1:46

Hi,

Good, thanks.  Would you be kind to direct me to the file(s) I shall start with?

Cheers,

Jonas

17 March 2009, 2:45

Hi Jonas,

a good startpoint for the translation are the core files for all the menustring in moodle.

You will find them in /htdocs/lang/en.utf8

You should create a dir /htdosc/lang/sv.utf8 and start translation. Please notice that you will find sometimes a "%s". In this case "%s" is a placeholder. you can move this wizhin the string in order to create a "good" Swedish.

within the /htdocs dir you will find on several places "en.utf8" dirs. All these dirs need an according "sv.utf8" dir.

Enjoy it and feel free to ask if something is not clear.

Heinz

Account deleted

19 March 2009, 1:53

Hi and thanks for your kind guidance!

I will start  with the the core files as you suggest. Could you recommend a software to use (on Mac OS) that will best facilitate and handle this task?

Cheers,

Jonas

22 March 2009, 5:22

Hi,

great to hear that your langpack is growing Cool

I can advice to ways:

• use a simple texteditor to modify the metioned textfiles, there are no specal needs at all.
  • install David Mudrak's wonderful tool to do the translation inside of your Mahara site

Feel free to contact him, he is a real cool guy and will give you guidance howto.

HTH Heinz

9 results